Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Noob alert!! My first day with a dslr: Fukuoka, Japan.

Real Name
    John

edit:

Edit: Thank you rhoads

This was my first time every using a DSLR...what a blast! I had a great time and can't wait to improve my skills.

Please keep criticisms at a Forrest Gump level as I am a super noob.

My gear: Canon 60D with monopod. Played around a little with HDRtist on some of the images.

Noob alert!!  My first day with a dslr:  Fukuoka, Japan.

Last edited by Boondocksaint; 23rd October 2010 at 04:51 PM.

Real Name
    John

Re: edit:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55148698@N08/

Here is my flickr account. I just opened it, so maybe thats the reason the linking doesn't work.

Real Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Boondocksaint View Post
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/55148698@N08/

Here is my flickr account. I just opened it, so maybe thats the reason the linking doesn't work.
    First I must say welcome to the forum!
    I had problems putting pictures onto the forum at first and it turned out that i wasnt doing it right. What you have to do is right click the image when you open it in your photostream and select the size medium 640, i think thats the number, its not medium 500 and its the only other medium. So once you have chosen your image size you right click again and click copy image location. Then to post the image to the forum you press the icon that looks like a tree above where you type. paste the link in there and tada! Sorry if its not the best explanation but i think youll get the idea.

-Jason

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoads238 View Post
    First I must say welcome to the forum!
    I had problems putting pictures onto the forum at first and it turned out that i wasnt doing it right. What you have to do is right click the image when you open it in your photostream and select the size medium 640, i think thats the number, its not medium 500 and its the only other medium. So once you have chosen your image size you right click again and click copy image location. Then to post the image to the forum you press the icon that looks like a tree above where you type. paste the link in there and tada! Sorry if its not the best explanation but i think youll get the idea.

-Jason
    thanks I'll give that a try

Real Name
    Jason

Re: Noob alert!! My first day with a dslr: Fukuoka, Japan.

Also the pretty cool building is really cool. I'd love to live there. The boat picture is really nice. I think some of the others could do for some straitening as the horizon doesn't seem quite level but otherwise great job with using the camera. all the shots look like they are properly exposed / whiteballanced which is an achievement for first time dslr use.

-Jason

John

Go to you flickr page and select a shot. When it expands right-click and select a size. It will redisplay. Right-click and select 'copy image location'. Use that to insert in your post here on CiC using the insert image icon on the edit panel. You can use 1024 px and it will be downsized here to 700 but you may lose a bit of sharpness, although when you select right-click 'view image' once it's posted it will get expanded in a new window to 1024px, which is good for detailed viewing. Otherwise use 640 or 700px.

You might want to read this for posting images on this site. https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/forums/thread5745.htm

Real Name
    John

Re: Noob alert!! My first day with a dslr: Fukuoka, Japan.

Also the pretty cool building is really cool. I'd love to live there. The boat picture is really nice. I think some of the others could do for some straitening as the horizon doesn't seem quite level but otherwise great job with using the camera. all the shots look like they are properly exposed / whiteballanced which is an achievement for first time dslr use.

-Jason
    well that must either be luck or a credit to the settings of the 60d. Thanks for your response.

Real Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Boondocksaint View Post

Please keep criticisms at a Forrest Gump level
    HAHAHAHA. oh by the way i think it was just the night shot that wasnt completely level. the fishing shot is really cool too though. Nice reflections and detail in the sky.

Real Name
    John

HAHAHAHA. oh by the way i think it was just the night shot that wasnt completely level. the fishing shot is really cool too though. Nice reflections and detail in the sky.
    See I didn't even think of making the shot level. I know my camera has some level thing thats pretty cool. Thats probably something I could do in aperture or photoshop pretty easy as well. Hey if you have three minutes you should check out a video I made of Fukuoka a couple of weeks ago::

This was made with my hv40 but I expect to shoot some quality video now that I Have a 60D

Real Name
    Jason

Im sure that the 60D does have a level tool. and it is very easy to do in photoshop. ive never used the other softwear though.

Very nice. I am by no means at all qualified to comment on video. but my favorite shot was the the signs hanging from the red strings. i liked the way you pulled focus to show how many there were. My only other thought is i wish there was more time spent on some of the topics like the guy handing out the leaves. It left me wanting to see more of what was going on with that. I have a d90 and it also shoots video but i never use it, i have no editing software for video and it seems like more than i am prepared for anyway. but good job overall. The video got me interested in the area overall.

Real Name
    John

Im sure that the 60D does have a level tool. and it is very easy to do in photoshop. ive never used the other softwear though.

Very nice. I am by no means at all qualified to comment on video. but my favorite shot was the the signs hanging from the red strings. i liked the way you pulled focus to show how many there were. My only other thought is i wish there was more time spent on some of the topics like the guy handing out the leaves. It left me wanting to see more of what was going on with that. I have a d90 and it also shoots video but i never use it, i have no editing software for video and it seems like more than i am prepared for anyway. but good job overall. The video got me interested in the area overall.

lol I don't even remember a guy handing out leaves in my video. I'll have to watch it again.

Real Name
    Steve

I look at images quick. I think this is spectacular. Leaving me thinking what in the minds of architechs.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    I look at images quick. I think this is spectacular. Leaving me thinking what in the minds of architechs.
    yes that is truly a remarkable and unique building. thanks for commenting!