Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Adobe Lr 'Lens Correction' Does not offer a Canon G11, even though I updated

Real Name
    Marc Whittemore

Adobe Lr 'Lens Correction' Does not offer a Canon G11, even though I updated

Hi Folks..

Brand new to Photography. So, I'm not even sure if I am in the right section. But my problem is pretty basic, I think.

As the title says basically my problem is that Adobe Lr 'Lens Correction' Does not offer my Canon G11 as an option (only the g10), even though I updated my computer with their latest Camera Raw 6.2 updater.

As downloaded from here: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html

Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Marc

Real Name
    Janis

Re: Adobe Lr 'Lens Correction' Does not offer a Canon G11, even though I updated

Hi Marc,

This is just a wild guess, because I am a know-nothing in this field, but maybe the algorithms for the G11 are the same as for the G10? Did you compare the lens specifications for the two cameras?

Janis

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Adobe Lr 'Lens Correction' Does not offer a Canon G11, even though I updated

I'd say that quite simply, they don't exist (yet?).

I wouldn't lose any sleep - usually the "corrections" aren't anything earth shattering - it's not as it your standard corrections requires anything like trying to convert a fisheye lens into a rectilinear.

Real Name
    Marc Whittemore

Bingo-a-go-go! You hit it right on the money Janis.

On looking through the Adobe Labs website having been directed there by J. Kost's video on Adobe Lightroom 'Lens Correction' http://tv.adobe.com/product/lightroom/ (Excellent, excellent videos btw if you want to learn Lightroom)

Annnnnd even better - If you want to create your own Lens Correction profile for any camera (and any particular lens) they have a tool called Lens Profile Creation tool + complete tutorials http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lensprofile_creator/

Anyways -- showing you were right, turns out while poking around the respective forum I found this entry:

"The G10 profile should work for the G11 - according to dpreviw.com, the G11 lens is unchanged from the G10. It does a good job for me."

Which solves the problem. But just because I'm feeling totally geeky this week I will use their utility to create my own and then compare. I might add that after applying the g10 profile coupled then with clicking the 'Manual' button for more enhancements Lightroom did a stellar job of correcting a badly distorted image.

Here's my image for comparison -uncorrected and corrected:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Janis

You mean I used the word algorithm correctly in a sentence? Kudos to me.

I watched the video and looked at your pics. Nifty tool you have there. You can colour me a richly saturated green.

Janis
    Remorseful user of Aperture

Real Name
    Marc Whittemore

Quote Originally Posted by purplehaze View Post
    You mean I used the word algorithm correctly in a sentence? Kudos to me.

I watched the video and looked at your pics. Nifty tool you have there. You can colour me a richly saturated green.

Janis
    Remorseful user of Aperture
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Marc Whittemore

actually.. I had uploaded it too soon =) this one is mo better. Whaz'a algorythm?

You don't have lightroom? If you have a student ID you can get tons and TONS of software CHEEEEAP at www.journeyed.com. I paid $79. for Lightroom. And only $499. for the ENTIRE Adobe Creative Suite CS5!! I used my Venice High School Adult Continuing Education paper ID and they accepted that.
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 23rd October 2010 at 10:06 AM.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by AWorkOfMarc View Post
    actually.. I had uploaded it too soon =) this one is mo better. Whaz'a algorythm?

You don't have lightroom? If you have a student ID you can get tons and TONS of software CHEEEEAP at www.journeyed.com. I paid $79. for Lightroom. And only $499. for the ENTIRE Adobe Creative Suite CS5!! I used my Venice High School Adult Continuing Education paper ID and they accepted that.
    Hi Marc,

Unfortunately it's not just a case of having a student ID (although that's an excellent start!). For anyone who's interested, Adobe publish "the rules" here ...

http://www.adobe.com/education/purchasing/qualify.html

Also, for those who do qualigy, they have CS5 suits from USD $449.

http://www.adobe.com/education/purch...n_pricing.html