Thread: Updates to Windows 10

Real Name
    Richard

Updates to Windows 10

I installed some updates to Windows 10 and my computer has slowed down perceptibly. It has impacted my Bridge speed, my upload from camera speed, my PS CC speed I also have a bit of problem running YouTube videos. The computer was running just fine before the updates. Has this happened to anyone else?

I just Googled it and apparently, I am not the only one who is experiencing this problem. Here is a possible fix

https://www.tecklyfe.com/possible-fi...ing-very-slow/

I am afraid to try anything that may make my computer performance even worse...

My wife's Windows 7 is just humming along great...

Real Name
    Brian

Re: Updates to Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I installed some updates to Windows 10 and my computer has slowed down perceptibly. It has impacted my Bridge speed, my upload from camera speed, my PS CC speed I also have a bit of problem running YouTube videos. The computer was running just fine before the updates. Has this happened to anyone else?

I just Googled it and apparently, I am not the only one who is experiencing this problem. Here is a possible fix

https://www.tecklyfe.com/possible-fi...ing-very-slow/

I am afraid to try anything that may make my computer performance even worse...

My wife's Windows 7 is just humming along great...
    I wonder if my DSS problems are related to the upload?

Real Name
    Richard

I just tried the fix that I linked to and it "seems" like my computer has regained some speed.

Real Name
    John

Richard,

I posted this recently after having the same issues.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...pc-performance

My system's performance improved after completing step #2, I had to add a few apps back later however.

Real Name
    John

It's only arrived on the computer that I use as a media centre so far and I have haven't noticed any performance fall off yet but it's the one machine that isn't worked particularly hard (very few apps other than the TV card software). What I have noticed on my main computer since the last update, is that Bridge has become a bit lazy when it comes to opening up files. Used to happen instantly with a double click but now sometimes (but not always), it takes several attempts even with he drop down menu "open" command.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

What I have a problem of is Windows 10 not recognizing that my graphics card can recognize two monitors. I have spent almost all day and part of the afternoon trying to find a solution but neither the Microsoft nor the NVIDIA people knows the answer to this. I will soon go back to Windows 7 if they cannot keep up with the current technology. I wasted a whole day talking to techies who have no answer to my problem.

Real Name
    Robert (ah prefer Boab) Smith

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    What I have a problem of is Windows 10 not recognizing that my graphics card can recognize two monitors. I have spent almost all day and part of the afternoon trying to find a solution but neither the Microsoft nor the NVIDIA people knows the answer to this. I will soon go back to Windows 7 if they cannot keep up with the current technology. I wasted a whole day talking to techies who have no answer to my problem.
    Hi Izzie,

Before anything else, make sure that ALL yer Windows updates are installed.

Try...go tae "Device Mgr." - Display Adapters - update both drivers. Also update driver in "Monitors" if that's in yer Device Mgr.

Failing that, follow the same path but roll back the drivers. If that fails do another update of all drivers (tae take ye back where ye were).

OR... click "Start" - type "Run" in the search box, the wee Run dialogue window opens. Type "desk.cpl" - click OK. Choose the 2nd. monitor - "Extend these displays"....

If the display(s) doesn't show, switch off PC, switch off power, Wait a minute or two, switch on power then PC.

OR...try using one DVI plug and one Display Port or HDMI cable.

OR...Device Mgr - Display Adapter - R/click on graphics card. Click "Disable" on driver, then click enable...restart PC.

PS - Disclaimer: the author takes no responsibility if yer PC blows up whilst attempting these fixes...

Real Name
    John

Izzie,

Have you tried running the troubleshooter for the monitor situation, after the program exhausts the typical remedies it might allow you to rollback to previous operating system for that application only?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-roll...indows-2619217

Real Name
    Izzie

Dear John and Boab...this is a new laptop that came with Windows 10. It seems that that week my other laptop blinked out, it was a bad week because Bill's desktop blinked out on him too. He has a backup. I don't because I never put any real files on my laptop nor desktop. I use an external drive when it comes to my computer use. I am doing the same on this one. So the operating system cannot be rolled back to Windows 7 which I really like.

Anyway, I am buying a new copy of Windows 7 Professional and installing it on top of Windows 10. I was looking at an instruction I had read yesterday about installing Windows 7 on top of Windows 10 and there is an option to do it. Short of installing it properly, I am meaning to go to a good brick and mortar computer store/repair and also asking them to remove the two hard drives on the other laptop that gave up the ghost.

Thank you both for your help. I really do appreciate it very much.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Dear John and Boab...this is a new laptop that came with Windows 10. It seems that that week my other laptop blinked out, it was a bad week because Bill's desktop blinked out on him too. He has a backup. I don't because I never put any real files on my laptop nor desktop. I use an external drive when it comes to my computer use. I am doing the same on this one. So the operating system cannot be rolled back to Windows 7 which I really like.

Anyway, I am buying a new copy of Windows 7 Professional and installing it on top of Windows 10. I was looking at an instruction I had read yesterday about installing Windows 7 on top of Windows 10 and there is an option to do it. Short of installing it properly, I am meaning to go to a good brick and mortar computer store/repair and also asking them to remove the two hard drives on the other laptop that gave up the ghost.

Thank you both for your help. I really do appreciate it very much.
    Hi Izzie,

The solution I was suggesting wouldn't roll back the entire operating system; just the driver used by the monitor, if the laptop is used it probably wouldn't do it but you might be able to install Windows 7 drivers for the monitor. Hopefully your method works for you.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Izzie - another thing to check for is to see if your laptop has dual graphics capabilities. Mine has both Intel and nVidia graphics and I had some problems until I disabled the nVidia drivers and stuck with the Intel ones. Intel graphics are fine for most of the stuff I do and the only reason I might have used the nVidia is for gaming purposes (which is why that chip was built into the machine too).

This may not be a MS or nVidia problem, but a driver issue from the laptop manufacturer. Check with them too.

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Hi Izzie,

The solution I was suggesting wouldn't roll back the entire operating system; just the driver used by the monitor, if the laptop is used it probably wouldn't do it but you might be able to install Windows 7 drivers for the monitor. Hopefully your method works for you.
    Thanks again for your help, John...I am in real good mood today and just happened to read Manfred's response to my post and I am home and hosed!

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Izzie - another thing to check for is to see if your laptop has dual graphics capabilities. Mine has both Intel and nVidia graphics and I had some problems until I disabled the nVidia drivers and stuck with the Intel ones. Intel graphics are fine for most of the stuff I do and the only reason I might have used the nVidia is for gaming purposes (which is why that chip was built into the machine too).

This may not be a MS or nVidia problem, but a driver issue from the laptop manufacturer. Check with them too.
    THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I wasn't supposed to be here in my laptop this morning but happily I was and just checked my email and saw your response. I googled the process of disabling the Nvidia and got good results. I will now be a happy camper. At least for editing I will have a bigger screen tomorrow. Yeyyyyyyy!!!

Thanks again. I always thought NVIDIA is the ant's pants needed for good graphics and since I can calibrate the other monitor too, it does not really matter if I did not have the NVIDIA because I don't play computer games anymore.