Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Photographing children

Real Name
    Peter Phun

Photographing children

I imagine most of you are parents with digital SLRs. I'm sure you've read all those tips on what, why and how. I really can't add anymore with what I've written.

I think the best advice is to be ever ready with your camera. If you can pre-focus manually and anticipate the moment, you'll be more happy with your results. Shooting auto-focus sometimes dooms you.

If you're in low light, the autofocus might be tracking back and forth and when it doesn't acquire focus, you can't trip the shutter. Not so with manual focus.

Doesn't have to be a digital SLR. Those point and shoots work well if you have a way to manually pre-focus. Better results yet with point and shoots with little shutter lag.

Here's an image I love for its spontaneity.
    Photographing children

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Re: Photographing children

What a fantastic expression on her face. To me it says "This is doin' my head in! How am I expected to learn this?!"

I hope you were sympathetic, Pete? This is exactly how I felt when you posed your flash question in Flashovers' post!

Mark

Real Name
    Peter Phun

Re: Photographing children

Mark,
    Actually I was very sympathetic to her plight. I remember asking myself if this would embarrass her before I submitted it for publication.

It is such priceless moment. I rationalize that if I were her parents, I would love to have a picture like this. So the picture ran nice and big in the paper.

I used Fujicolor 800. Exposure was probably f2.8 @ 1/250 sec. Sorry folks, still working from archives that I'm digitizing.