Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Thoughts about Filters - your opinion wanted

Real Name
    Tim Makins

Thoughts about Filters - your opinion wanted

In a general spirit of self-instruction, I was looking through the Lonely Planet Image gallery:

http://www.lonelyplanetimages.com/co..._images?page=1

which, I guess, is a great indicator of 'what makes a top selling photograph'. One image that caught my eye was this one:

http://www.lonelyplanetimages.com/co..._images/112954

showing a beach, see and palm trees. However, I question the use of the colored filter, used to tone down the sky. It seems rather false, and not something I've ever done. Or should I? What is your opinion on colored filters used in this way? Its obviously a top-selling image, so lots of people like this effect. Should I invest in such a filter? Is it good enough just to add it later in PhotoShop?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Thoughts about Filters - your opinion wanted

Tim

One could argue that the answer is in what you wrote - "One image that caught my eye...". It's an attention-grabber, hence it's, probably, commercial success. But the interesting point to ponder is - Will 99% of the people who view the image actually clock the fact that the image is not a realistic representation of the view, but one that has been heavily 'adjusted'? I think it may work at a subliminal level on lots of people.

I don't know whether this was done with an on-camera filter or in post processing. If you want to create images such as this then, yes, you need the gear to do it. Question is - Do you want to? I wouldn't.
    Last edited by Donald; 17th October 2010 at 04:39 PM.

Real Name
    Tim

Personally, I’ve never really liked tobacco or any other false colour grads.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Tim,

I'd stick to a plain ND for sky (if necessary), then colour-wash in PP if desired - you'll get a lot more control that way and the ability to use the image 'clean' when you want.

Stating my position; I don't own any of this kind of filter, only a CPL.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Steaphany

Irregardless as to why that image got to be a top seller on Lonely Planet, I don't like it because it doesn't look real.

Obviously, the photographer was trying for a Sunset look, but the ocean where a bit of blue remains hints at the original scene, as does the lower palm fronds which are bright green where the higher fronds are dark since the filter didn't pass sufficient green for an authentic Sunset look.

Had that photographer been a member here and posted that photo for review by our community, I'm sure I wouldn't be alone with a recommendation to throw away the filter and head back to that beach at Sunset to do it right.

Real Name
    Steve

You are right; it is a joke. Who would buy such a thing. Crazy world.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Not my sort of thing, he says, hastily checking his image bank!!!

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Tim and welcome to CiC,

It’s a warm, emotional fairytale style shot to sell a fairytale location. It sells trips but would someone put it on their wall as art. Some would most wouldn’t BUT if it is a style you like you should explore it.

I carry a circular polariser, graduated grey and neutral density filters to control the light range in an image. It is more important to get the dynamic range right when you take the shot. If I wanted to do this I would achieve it later in PS at no cost.

Where abouts are you in Africa and where are you travelling to?

Real Name
    Tim Makins

Thanks for all the comments. It looks like everyone agrees that the use of such filters is not something that they would want to do, though still, as Harry Selfridge, the founder of Selfridge's store in London is famous for saying, "The customer is always right". For those of us who try and make a living selling photos, this needs to be considered. If Lonely Planet have these images tagged as "Top Selling Poster Images pictures" then there must be some serious sales involved. Looking again at the Lonely Planet Gallery, I see that a few other images have the same effect, though not always so pronounced.

My Location: 'Travelling in Africa' is a little premature - that won't be happening until the beginning of November. I just stuck it up so that I wouldn't have to change it later on. I'll be travelling by road 10 months, from Gibraltar to Istanbul, via Cape Town and Cairo. You can see a map of the route here: http://www.gnomeplanet.com/trav_tim/whereis.php

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    You can see a map of the route here: http://www.gnomeplanet.com/trav_tim/whereis.php
    Now, that is a journey!