Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: More Tractors

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

More Tractors

After many weeks of not being able to get the camera out of the bag due to other demands, got the chance to get out early this morning. A frost had made the air crisp. A beautiful autumn morning.

More Tractors

40D, 70-200 f4 L IS @ 173mm. ISO 100. 1/60 @ f4.5. Manual. 8:45am.

Real Name
    John

Re: More Tractors

Nicely done Donald. Fog always add an element of mystery to a scene, both for the image and the subject. It has to be lonely, a bit dangerous, and also rewarding to have to plow the fields with such a limited field of view.

Lovely shot, Donald. Crisp and sharp, but also very touchy-feely. It's not on your website.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    Lovely shot, Donald. Crisp and sharp, but also very touchy-feely. It's not on your website.
    I've told myself that things have to wait at least 48 hours before I decide whether they're good enough to put up on the website (the colour one I took yesterday being an exception to the rule - which must not be broken again!). That way I get time to get over the initial 'Oh, I like that one' and hopefully make a more robust assessment of the image. If it still passes at that stage, I'll put it onto the site.

Having said that, I knew when I was taking this one that I had a keeper. Still playing with one of the other frames that I shot (got it in 4X5 portrait format), but don't think it's as good as this one.

Real Name
    Steve

Yes I like it; did you get the tractor driver to follow the line of trees or was you patient and waited. I haven't got patience but wished I had.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Yes I like it; did you get the tractor driver to follow the line of trees or was you patient and waited. I haven't got patience but wished I had.
    Steve
    I was the patient one, though didn't really need to be as I knew where he'd be in the field about when (advantage of having driven these things when I were a lad!).

This is about a mile from my house. I was out early and noticed that he was out working, but just starting at the extreme left-hand edge of the field as we look at it. I worked out that he'd be about 40/45 minutes before he had worked his way across and would be in roughly this position. So I drove to another of my favourite locations just to see if there was anything interesting, but it was pretty flat. So, I got myself back in time for the tractor to reach this position.

They are tolerant of this idiot standing at the edge of the field wanting to take their picture. However, if I suggested he changed his route to suit my artistic requirements, he'd tell me where to go in words of one syllable.
    Last edited by Donald; 17th October 2010 at 09:05 PM.

Is that a seed drill, Donald? Modern farming equipment has become so complicated that I don't recognise anything anymore.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Is that a seed drill, Donald? Modern farming equipment has become so complicated that I don't recognise anything anymore.
    Yes, indeed. It wasn't like this in my young days. It's the most incredible rig. I shudder to think what the capital outlay is for this lot.

Yes, seed sowing was a simple mechanical 'drip feed' arrangement.

I can remember brassica planting by 2 people sitting on a 'sledge' attached to a tractor link box fittings. Everytime a small wheel turned full circle it mechanically hit a bell which was the signal to place a plant in the ground; where 2 pieces of metal dragged earth around it.

You probably remember something similar.

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Nice work!

Chuck