Thread: This Ones For Mike: A new way to use your macro lens

Real Name
    Brian

This Ones For Mike: A new way to use your macro lens

Check out this video of a fellow setting up a shot on a miniature XKE Jaguar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epk66nGJ2QM

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: This Ones For Mike: A new way to use your macro lens

Thanks, Brian!

The studio cracks me up. It accommodates the photographer, two assistants and an observer with plenty of room to easily move around. My makeshift studio accommodates only one person other than myself and both of us would have to be careful not to knock anything over. It isn't nearly large enough to accommodate all the equipment he used to make the video.

I'm surprised that nobody cleaned the dust off the tabletop, especially considering that his assistant cleaned it off the car.

I've used the same basic techniques he used to light and flag the subject, though I've never taped anything to the side of the tabletop. I like that technique and will keep it in mind.

People who haven't done this sort of thing might wonder why he used such a large reflector above such a small subject. If the subject's top surface had been flat, he could have used a reflector that is barely larger than the subject. However, because the subject's top surface has so many curves, the reflector above it has to be significantly larger to ensure that the subject's entire surface is lit.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Thanks for posting this one Brian.

A lot of the issues that the videographer was trying to address were related to shooting video, rather than shooting stills.

That being said, the lighting approach and issues cover both genres, although in still photography, we can get away with the high power, short bursts from flash, whereas video shooters need to work around the limitations imposed by having to use continuous light sources.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    in still photography, we can get away with the high power, short bursts from flash, whereas video shooters need to work around the limitations imposed by having to use continuous light sources.
    For others who don't realize the implications, the limitations of continuous light sources apply to still shooters only when capturing subjects in motion and when stopping the action.

Real Name
    George

Makes me thinking of this thread. Thoughts to ponder

Listen to the video at about 1'. It says
    I wouldn't setup 50' or 60' away. I want to see that perspective change
    He's stating here that perspective is changing with the distance.
    1. He doesn't think in focal length but in distances.
    2. The change in perspective is due to the change in distance.
    3. And once he did choose for a certain distance, he looks for a certain lens.
    4. The focal length will be determined by the sizes of the subject.

George