Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: St Kilda Pier

Real Name
    Peter

St Kilda Pier

This is a recent shoot I did at St Kilda Pier. These are for inclusion on a DVD I am doing on Victoria and will include the city and inner suburbs.

C & C please.

St Kilda Pier

St Kilda Pier

St Kilda Pier

St Kilda Pier

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Re: St Kilda Pier

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ryan View Post
    This is a recent shoot I did at St Kilda Pier. These are for inclusion on a DVD I am doing on Victoria and will include the city and inner suburbs.

C & C please.

St Kilda Pier

St Kilda Pier

St Kilda Pier

St Kilda Pier
    Peter, I very much like #1, even though, in fact probably, because you have broken the "no horizon in the middle" rule. I like the way the lines lead my eyes nicely from left to right and the various trianular shapes in the composition. The small figure trundling the bag adds interest.

Simalarly with #2, the varying straight and curves elements gell and compliment one another, and the careful composition with those triangles again is satisfying. The one human walking near the middle of the pier slightly distracts and I'd probably rather see more of the full front of the building, but that is a minor quibble.

#3 just doesn't do it for me, mainly because of the placement of the curving lamppost. I'd either step forward just a little to allow it to visually seperate from the building, as it does add something with its curved top, or I'd do a removal job with pp.

#4 I like. Nice varied texture and interest in the sky, the sea and the structured building. The building is nicely placed in the composition and I also like the desat on everything except the yellow.

That's it!

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Kit,

By placing the horizon in the middle (# 1) I tried to remove the emphasise away from the landscape and onto the shelter and lady with trolly.

I really like the tones in #3 but I understand what you mean about the light pole.

Thanks for your time and thoughts Kit. I apprecaite it.

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Kit,

# 3 without the light. Any better?

St Kilda Pier

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Yes, I like that better. You took that wee posty thing away too.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Hi Kit,

St Kilda Pier
    Ooooh now we are into serious debating territory!!

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Kit,

St Kilda Pier
    Hi Peter,

I think that what makes or breaks shots like this is absolute symmetry, and in this case it looks like you needed to have taken a step or two to the left when you took it, as some of the lines and angles are skewed.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Peter,

I think that what makes or breaks shots like this is absolute symmetry, and in this case it looks like you needed to have taken a step or two to the left when you took it, as some of the lines and angles are skewed.
    Thanks Colin,

I looked at this but the pier, fence, kiosk and horizon are all crooked. I need to talk with the designer I think.

Real Name

Thanks Colin,

I looked at this but the pier, fence, kiosk and horizon are all crooked. I need to talk with the designer I think.
    Nah - you just need Photoshop

Real Name
    Kay

Quote Originally Posted by Klickit View Post
    Yes, I like that better. You took that wee posty thing away too.
    I'm with Kit on this 1 - Wendy had a similar example where i was certain the lamp post needed to stay as it gave a foreboding feeling of darkness to come - but with this 1 totally different feel and minus single lamp post in close up version works perfectly.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    I'm with Kit on this 1 - Wendy had a similar example where i was certain the lamp post needed to stay as it gave a foreboding feeling of darkness to come - but with this 1 totally different feel and minus single lamp post in close up version works perfectly.
    Thanks Kay. You would know this site well.

Real Name
    Kay

Yep BC's work is right near Luna park.....although they don't need to go out for a roller coaster ride, Bean Counter's get that anyway I think! - especially those who have to deal in $AU to $US

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    Yep BC's work is right near Luna park.....although they don't need to go out for a roller coaster ride, Bean Counter's get that anyway I think! - especially those who have to deal in $AU to $US
    Its all been BUY, BUY, BUY lately but the key is to learn to SELL.

Real Name
    Peter

I have had another go at straightening this image but the little bit of horizon is still a bit crooked (the pier is not straight) but the building is centred better. I actually like the light pole but take the point about it touching the building so I have removed the security cameras to give a cleaner line. Any thoughts welcomed.

St Kilda Pier

Real Name

I have had another go at straightening this image but the little bit of horizon is still a bit crooked (the pier is not straight) but the building is centred better. I actually like the light pole but take the point about it touching the building so I have removed the security cameras to give a cleaner line. Any thoughts welcomed.

St Kilda Pier
    Hi Peter,

I still think you were standing in the wrong place, and that's what makes it look "not quite right" eg, if you position a vertical guide through the flagpole the planks in front of the building intersect it at an angle, and the line to the right of the lamp post where the concrete meets the planks isn't parallel to the bottom.

This image from the past shows how it can work I think (I didn't take it, but it did win the monthly competition).

St Kilda Pier

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

I like the light pole too, as it introduces a very nice shape against the sky beside the building and compliments the curves of the windows door frame and roof. This with the separation works well for me.
    PS. If you hadn't mentioned the crooked horizon, I probably wouldn't have seen it, but now I have.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Klickit View Post
    PS. If you hadn't mentioned the crooked horizon, I probably wouldn't have seen it, but now I have.
    I'll shut up next time.

Thanks Kit.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Peter,

I still think you were standing in the wrong place, and that's what makes it look "not quite right" eg, if you position a vertical guide through the flagpole the planks in front of the building intersect it at an angle, and the line to the right of the lamp post where the concrete meets the planks isn't parallel to the bottom.

This image from the past shows how it can work I think (I didn't take it, but it did win the monthly competition).

St Kilda Pier
    Thanks Colin. I see what you mean now. I am not sure I could have managed to separate the light pole and achieve your recommendation. I probably needed my untra wide angle lense and to get in front of the pole. This longer persepctive was covered in #2 above but I will take note of your comments next time.

Many thanks.