Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Jet Truck...

Real Name
    Richard

Jet Truck...

Unfortunately, due to the bad visibility, the Friday afternoon 2010 Airshow at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar was delayed and they abbreviated that program due to the delay. One of the events that I didn't get to see this year was the Jet truck which is always a neat event to photograph. Here is an image from a few years ago.

Jet Truck...

Oh BTW: the Jet truck appeared during the evening show but, I was too tired and hot and left even before the afternoon show was completed. I am sorry I left because I heard that the flames from the exhaust were spectacular in the evening light.

Real Name
    Tommy

Re: Jet Truck...

That's insane! And beautifully captured!

How fast does that thing move / accelerate?

Real Name
    Richard

The brochure states that the truck can reach 300mph (over 482 kph). I don't know how fast the truck was moving when I shot it, but it was very fast and quite loud (even though it was several hundred meters distant).

Real Name
    Steve

Great shot and crop!

Real Name
    Pops

I lived 2 miles North of Miramar Naval Air Station for 18 years. I remember those shows with great pleasure. The only drawback was shooting clay pigeons at the Miramar range. When you had both a clay pigeon and an F16 appearing off the end of your shotgun barrel, it was just a little disconcerting.

Pops

Real Name
    Richard

As an aside... I was a combat cameraman in Vietnam and was on the receiving end of small arms, rocket, mortar, and even large caliber artillery fire from across the DMZ. While it was disconcerting to say the least, I cannot conceive of that even being in the same league with an attack from a modern jet aircraft - especially a low altitude attack. The sound alone would be enough to make me want to turn in my Al Quaeda I.D. card.

Real Name
    Jason

Thats awesome. I wonder how much that could toe? hahaha. Anyway its a cool photo. It definitely got my interest and that's what any good photo should do

Real Name
    Troy

I've seen this airshow two or three times and from what i can remember the truck actually "races" a jet flying directly above it. I'm sure, however, the jet slows down to match the speed of the truck, but it's a pretty cool looking thing especially if you can find a good seat

Real Name
    Jim

I've seen a similar truck the "Shockwave" at the Dayton Airshow.0-295 mph in 6 seconds.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Unfortunately, due to the bad visibility, the Friday afternoon 2010 Airshow at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar was delayed and they abbreviated that program due to the delay. One of the events that I didn't get to see this year was the Jet truck which is always a neat event to photograph. Here is an image from a few years ago.

Jet Truck...

Oh BTW: the Jet truck appeared during the evening show but, I was too tired and hot and left even before the afternoon show was completed. I am sorry I left because I heard that the flames from the exhaust were spectacular in the evening light.
    They had one of these at Pirelli a long long time ago; sort of ultimate tester of tires.