Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Project 52 - 2nd QTR - Sandy(Skitterbug)

Real Name
    Sandy

2017 Project 52 - 2nd QTR - Sandy(Skitterbug)

As I begin the second quarter of my 2017 P52 adventure, I’ve been contemplating what my next “focus” areas should be. I still have some information to delve into in the book – Understanding Photography Volume 1 by Sean T. McHugh - which has been the basis of the start of my exploration of this learning process. However some of the book’s information is more technical than I want to deal with so I’ll concentrate on what makes sense to me in the book, keep plugging away with it and hope eventually that technical info begins to sink in.

I also want to begin to understand post processing better and what the applications that I have can do. One of those is Affinity Photo (v1.5.2) that provides stacking ability. So I read through their directions and gave it a try. The following is the result of my attempt of “stacking” 4 photos. Four of them probably isn't enough but I thought it might be a place to start.

Opinions always appreciated!

Spring Daffodils
    f/5.6 – ISO100 – 18mm - Shutter Speeds are variable – 1/8, 1/6, 1/5. Focus points on different areas of course. Used a tripod to keep the rest constant.

Re: 2017 Project 52 - 2nd QTR - Sandy(Skitterbug)

Your stacking has worked fine, Sandy. The only problem is a few small areas of over exposure on the flowers.

Botanical subjects are so very difficult to photograph perfectly. I tend to avoid strong light, or use studio lighting of some form with great care. Spot metering around the scene before shooting should identify any potential problem areas; but that may mean exposing for the brightest highlights will create overly dark shadows. In which case, the lighting needs to be controlled. Bright sunlight is fraught with headaches.

I often use a light diffuser and sometimes even in dull light scenes there will still be brighter spots which are beyond the capabilities of your camera.

For me, botanical subjects are portraits which require as much care as a formal photograph of a person. So difficult to get exactly correct, as you will probably have noticed from conversations among the expert portrait photographers on CinC.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

So beautiful....

Real Name
    John

Nice start to your next quarter.

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Your stacking has worked fine, Sandy. The only problem is a few small areas of over exposure on the flowers.

Botanical subjects are so very difficult to photograph perfectly. I tend to avoid strong light, or use studio lighting of some form with great care. Spot metering around the scene before shooting should identify any potential problem areas; but that may mean exposing for the brightest highlights will create overly dark shadows. In which case, the lighting needs to be controlled. Bright sunlight is fraught with headaches.

I often use a light diffuser and sometimes even in dull light scenes there will still be brighter spots which are beyond the capabilities of your camera.

For me, botanical subjects are portraits which require as much care as a formal photograph of a person. So difficult to get exactly correct, as you will probably have noticed from conversations among the expert portrait photographers on CinC.
    Hi Geoff ~ I want to play with the stacking idea some more but I'd think that the items stacked have to be stationary. Everything outside of my door, is being blown about by the wind at the moment so I'll need to think up subjects that stay put. I'm glad the software that I have seems capable.

Lighting is definitely a chore to get right. I don't have any type of diffuser and looking online proves that there are many to choose from. I don't ever plan on portrait work - at least not at this time. I'll leave that to the talented!

Thanks for the feedback about lighting. I was intent on stacking and didn't really pay as much attention as I should have to the bright spots....although it does remind me of the sunshine coming in on the daffodils in the morning!

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    So beautiful....
    Thank you Nandakumar! These stayed nice until this morning and then they started to fade. Daffodils are such a sunny and happy flower to see.

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nice start to your next quarter.
    Hi John ~ And thank you for your encouragement! The first quarter went by faster than I expected!

I sometimes use a Lastolite Tri Grip Difflector for tricky harsh light problems, Sandy.

However . . . you have to hold it with one hand (you really need three arms) or have a second person to assist. I made a bracket with a strong clip which attaches to a second tripod to hold the Diflector. But that is more gear to purchase and lug around all day when on a field trip!

As an alternative, I sometimes use my White Balance checker, one of the Lastolite spring frame versions to create a little shadow. The simplest system which has often worked for me is to position my body to create an area of light shadow.

But this does tend to create something of a dull day scene unless you carefully boost the highlights during editing, and mask out any hot spots which appear. If you aren't careful it is very easy to create a perfect scene, technically speaking, but miss the real life dramatic impact of the subject; as you mentioned.

Real Name
    Sandy

I sometimes use a Lastolite Tri Grip Difflector for tricky harsh light problems, Sandy.

However . . . you have to hold it with one hand (you really need three arms) or have a second person to assist. I made a bracket with a strong clip which attaches to a second tripod to hold the Diflector. But that is more gear to purchase and lug around all day when on a field trip!

As an alternative, I sometimes use my White Balance checker, one of the Lastolite spring frame versions to create a little shadow. The simplest system which has often worked for me is to position my body to create an area of light shadow.

But this does tend to create something of a dull day scene unless you carefully boost the highlights during editing, and mask out any hot spots which appear. If you aren't careful it is very easy to create a perfect scene, technically speaking, but miss the real life dramatic impact of the subject; as you mentioned.
    Hi Geoff ~ Your difflector is an interesting gadget but having it and knowing how to use it are two different things. I haven't really explored this deeply into light management yet. I think it starts on page 134 in Sean's book <chuckle> so I'm closer to the topic than when I started the P52 in January! With your help and anyone else that offers ideas, maybe I'll be a bit better by the end of this year? That's my goal! Better light management! Better photos!

I really do appreciate your suggestions! It gives me ideas to work from and toward! Thank you!

Real Name
    Joe

Really nice stacking. To my untrained eye it looks great. I haven't​tried stacking yet but your start has encouraged me.

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by joebranko View Post
    Really nice stacking. To my untrained eye it looks great. I haven't​tried stacking yet but your start has encouraged me.
    Mine is a beginner's effort! But I am happy with the results and I appreciate your comments! I'll look forward to seeing your pics. In fact, I gotta check out your P52 because I think there are some new ones posted!

Real Name
    Sandy

I'm still working on Week 14.......

Spotted this fellow sitting sunning himself. He was jittery and really wasn't comfortable with me being about. I think we have three of them so far but I've only been able to get this one. There isn't any foliage yet and I think Mr. Bullfrog will find that the temperature is going to drop to freezing again this week so he may decide to hide again!

The settings for this pic: 1/1000 ss - f/6.3 - ISO800 - 250mm
    I cropped this one closely! There is plenty of light and I should have been more careful. I am still in a hurry and tend to forget about the brightness especially that which bounces off the water. It doesn't appear too badly on my computer screen. I'm always curious how it looks to others.
    Comments appreciated always!

Just one little suggestion, Sandy, and it isn't your fault.

That small bit of yellowish stick, or something similar, the mid way point of the bottom edge. Ideally I would clone it out. Everything else looks OK.

Real Name
    Sandy

Just one little suggestion, Sandy, and it isn't your fault.

That small bit of yellowish stick, or something similar, the mid way point of the bottom edge. Ideally I would clone it out. Everything else looks OK.
    Hi Geoff ~ Thanks for the suggestion and approval!

I haven't become adept at cloning out larger items. I can do grass or get rid of spots, etc. but in this one, I'd have to get rid of the little twig, put water and submerged frog back in its place. It becomes a muddled mess for me when I try this so I'm better off leaving the picture as I found it. I think I'd have better luck getting Mr. Bullfrog to pose! <chuckle>

Real Name
    Randy

[QUOTE=skitterbug;667715]I'm still working on Week 14.......

Spotted this fellow sitting sunning himself. He was jittery and really wasn't comfortable with me being about. I think we have three of them so far but I've only been able to get this one. There isn't any foliage yet and I think Mr. Bullfrog will find that the temperature is going to drop to freezing again this week so he may decide to hide again!

The settings for this pic: 1/1000 ss - f/6.3 - ISO800 - 250mm
    I cropped this one closely! There is plenty of light and I should have been more careful. I am still in a hurry and tend to forget about the brightness especially that which bounces off the water. It doesn't appear too badly on my computer screen. I'm always curious how it looks to others.
    Comments appreciated always!

Very nice frog photo, Sandy! I particularly like the reflection of its head in the water. Your image is large enough that you might consider cropping it to exclude some of the water above its head. If you cropped some of the bottom of your original photo off, you might consider taking another look at the original and see if you can crop it to show primarily the frog's head and reflection. I know that would be a "tighter" crop than many people like, but you have good detail in the photo and I think it might be worth considering. You might also be able to get rid of the light-colored bit of foliage, too, without having to resort to cloning it out. Lastly, I also like your photo of the daffodils, too!

Real Name
    John

Very murky capture, nice shot.

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by RandyRFJP View Post
    Very nice frog photo, Sandy! I particularly like the reflection of its head in the water. Your image is large enough that you might consider cropping it to exclude some of the water above its head. If you cropped some of the bottom of your original photo off, you might consider taking another look at the original and see if you can crop it to show primarily the frog's head and reflection. I know that would be a "tighter" crop than many people like, but you have good detail in the photo and I think it might be worth considering. You might also be able to get rid of the light-colored bit of foliage, too, without having to resort to cloning it out. Lastly, I also like your photo of the daffodils, too!
    Hi Randy ~ I really enjoy daffodils. They are a happy flower to see.Thank you!

So I had a bit of time and decided to give your suggestion a try. And I also tried cloning that twig in front of Mr. Bullfrog as well as the edge of the black flower tub. Took a bit of "shiny" off his nose while I was at it and fiddled with the exposure, etc. and here's the new Mr. Bullfrog. It changes the original photo quite a bit and is a different presentation but I like it.

This is when I'd really enjoy having a lens that could get "me" up close and personal without having to crop out so much of the photo file. Later when the days are much warmer, Mr. Bullfrog won't be so inclined to jump when I want to capture a photo of him and I'll be able to physically get closer but for now, I reckon this will have to do.

Thank you for your observations!

Real Name
    Sandy

The water definitely isn't cleared up yet! <grin>

Thank you for looking at my work!

Real Name
    Judith

I like your frog crop. Do you have any sharpening tools? If so, try them! I enjoy seeing you work out problems, the best way to learn! I was born in Columbus..what part of Ohio are you from?

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Excellent close up

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast