Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Mt Stromlo

Real Name
    Raylee

Mt Stromlo

Mt Stromlo

I'm wondering what you think of this photo. I think I've overdone the vignette. The sky was all cloud so it was too bland. I adjusted the sky to bring out some blue and then applied the vignette.

Thanks!

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Re: Mt Stromlo

I'm not sure if I would have used a vignette on this shot Raylee. I would definitely have done something with the sky, but would have favoured a graduated fill from the top left hand corner towards the line of the structure.
    I'm not sure what editing program you use but in Lightroom for instance it is an extremely simple process with bags of control.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Raylee,

I agree with Mike.

To my mind; a vignette is really only going to give the desired effect if all four corners of an image are the same brightness, but here you have 3 dark and one light, so the dark vignette only shows in the light one and further, due to the aspect ratio of the shot, it looks uneven.

I think I have only ever applied a vignette once, so there's an element of "good job I didn't do that" - in other words, until I saw this, I hadn't actually given it much thought myself - so you may have saved me doing the same thing in future!

Anyway, that aside, I'm not actually sure what this is
    The title, "Mt Stromlo", suggests (to me) a mountain, yet this appears to be a rusting fortifcation of some kind.

Hope that's not too negative,

Hi,
    Oh! Oh! or Alas! Alas! I don't know what Your desire is but vignetting not.So I suppose only....Playing with complementary colours is a solution for "abstracts".In such way the ornamental feature of this image increased.

Mt Stromlo

Radu Dinu

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Radu Dinu Cordeanu View Post
    Hi,
    Oh! Oh! or Alas! Alas! I don't know what Your desire is but vignetting not.So I suppose only....Playing with complementary colours is a solution for "abstracts".In such way the ornamental feature of this image increased.

Mt Stromlo

Ah, now that I do like, brilliant Radu Dinu

I still don't know what it is though

Real Name
    Raylee

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Ah, now that I do like, brilliant Radu Dinu

I still don't know what it is though
    Ok - I have some work to do on this. Thanks for the feedback. It's much appreciated.

What is it - it's part of a burnt out observatory at Mt Stromlo. My mistake with naming it.

I'll experiment with colours like Radu Dinu has suggested. I hadn't thought of that to be honest. I do like the effect. Some more new things to learn!