Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Peace at Dusk

Peace at Dusk

A very peaceful scene, I enjoyed the colours in the sky and the reflections on the water. Lit by sun setting from LHS. It is taken from a jetty sticking into the lake so the mountains almost curl round the camera on both sides, no barrel distortion.

Peace at Dusk

I'd value any thoughts.

Lincs1

Real Name
    Chris

Re: Peace at Dusk

If it was mine I would crop about a 1/4 off the left and bottom - still leaves enough to wrap around but less ever so slightly empty water. Or you could be wicked and find some wildfowl or a small boat to float in a strategic place from elsewhere...not

Real Name
    David

Lincs1 - I agree with crisscross that cropping left and bottom would give a slightly better composition. You could set the space between the hills on a point of "thirds". I've also taken images like this where there are silhouetted dark/black mountain profiles. I cannot make up my mind as to whether they work. Looking at your image I'm still not convinced, but perhaps I'm being over critical.

Cheers

David

EDIT - I've looked at the photo again and can see that the gap is almost on a point of thirds as it is. So my comment on cropping is wrong.
    Last edited by David; 3rd December 2008 at 11:35 AM.

Thanks for your comments.

This was always going to be slightly controversial, whether to crop or not to. I looked at it both ways and came down to the conclusion to leave it as it was because I liked the colour on the water and it gave enough foreground interest to work. The only option I nearly went with was to blacken the hills on the right hand side to balance the others.

Lincs1

yes very peaceful indeed very subtle colors all around its the water with its dark colored foreground tht leads towards the light is absolutely soothingthe bright colored sky is just not gelling with the landscape totally! over all a good pleasant pic.

Quote Originally Posted by taken View Post
    yes very peaceful indeed very subtle colors all around its the water with its dark colored foreground tht leads towards the light is absolutely soothingthe bright colored sky is just not gelling with the landscape totally! over all a good pleasant pic.
    It was the subtlety of the colours that I found so pleasing, thank you for your positive comment.

Lincs1