Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: UCI Road Race Champs

Real Name
    Kay

UCI Road Race Champs

Howdy Sportsfans

On the agenda this week we have the UCI Road Race champs

http://www.uci.ch/templates/UCI/UCI5...I1NDk&LangId=1

down our neck of the woods - the first few days were the 'time trial' man/woman or U23 young man against the clock - so no nice colourful pack of riders, basically unless you caught the guy in front (who started 2 mins ahead) you shouldn't get 2 together.

I wanted to try some more 'panning' but the closest vantage point was in the hill section, so I went with that.

here are some to share...

Go Kiwis!
    UCI Road Race Champs

It's tough at the top and getting there..

UCI Road Race Champs

UCI Road Race Champs

..take the long way home..
    UCI Road Race Champs

the spectators
    UCI Road Race Champs

wheels made of gold
    UCI Road Race Champs

Fabian Cancellara Olympic & World Champion conquers the summit & goes on to post the fastest time.
    UCI Road Race Champs

Real Name
    David

Re: UCI Road Race Champs

Hi Kay - #2 and #3 hit the spot best from this compilation.

#2 shows the cyclist's determination with tongue poking out, plus the focus and depth of field is just correct to put the motorcycle in a blur. I might use the clone brush to take out the green and blue at the bottom right hand corner, but until I had done it I wouldn't be sure if it was necessary. The composition is also enhanced by the good diagonal running from the motor cycle up through the cyclist. In art theory diagonals help depict movement.

#3 is similarly sharply in focus with concentration and determination written all over the cyclist's face and body - the message -GO GO GO!

#6 would fall into the same category but the yellow in the background is distracting.

Altogether great shots with #2 and #3 the best.

Cheers

David

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Kay,

I've done a bit of this, so I can speak from actual experience
    Now do bear in mind that these are a very good series and I have mentioned quite a few (relatively minor) things that many wouldn't even consider doing, but I consider it "attention to detail" the sort that can make the difference between a good picture and a great one (or 6 in this case).

#1 I guess the subject makes this shot for a Kiwi, but to be brutal, without the rider's face visible, it's not that exciting for everyone else. It has good focus and exposure, but a slower shutter speed (than 1/3200) would have helped make it more exciting when combined with a pan. However, I guess that ss crept up as you wanted a wide aperture to control DoF, which worked a treat btw. ISO was 200, but even going to 100 wouldn't have made enough difference - so perhaps add a CPL or ND filter?

#2 Great shot, but I would definitely, without a microsecond of hesitation, clone out the green blob lower right. I can live with the blue (barrier) because it gives depth to the image, thus I would clone the barrier and the trees over the green. I would probably also "tiddivate" in the background with cloning and burning to reduce the (minor) distraction impact of a few other blobs - but then I get carried away
    Ideal might have been to have the complete wheels, with tyres on bottom edge of image, unless cresting a hill (as your words suggest), in which case I'd include some road too.

#3 Good composition (well, they all are actually), DoF and exposure - I think I would tone down some of the background highlights. Although it could be argued it is part of the scene, my personal preference is too clone out cyclist's dribble or snot, but the choice is yours

#4 (long way home) almost perfect ... but (being me) I'd just clone out the blob by the pole on grass and also the person above the Skoda's door mirror - both on right

#5 (spectators) - I'd clone out the bright bit bottom left corner, otherwise a good shot, not my forte, so I won't comment further

#6 (wheels of gold) - I'd clone out; the purple blob LHS above barrier, white line bottom left foreground corner, plus the yellow and grey poles and raise the shadows a little.

#7 (Fabian Cancellara) Definitely clone the jackets red over that yellow background blob (almost looks like a firefighter's helmet), also I think I'd clone out the blue/white/grey/black stuff in bottom right corner. Recover a little more lightness on his face.

Please do take these comments as no more than my suggestions for a 5% improvement on a very good series.
    There is far more right than wrong about them.

Well done,

Real Name
    Kay

Thanks to David & Dave

David - you are 'spot' on, I actually didn't notice that blob (shows what you miss when reviewing a lot of images) until I hit the upload key! - then 'Bugger' could have perhaps been heard in New Zealand!

And I am glad you see Go Go Go as 'Allez Allez Allez was often what the team car loud speaker guys were shouting

and Dave
    Thank you for taking the time for your C & C - I knew you have lots of experience here, so I was hoping you would share your thoughts

#1 - we will just say is for Colin & Peter, as we have a NZ'er and some triangles

and all the other comments make perfect sense and all would improve each image.
    So I think the take home overall lesson would be choose the best which portray the event...maybe then go and walk the dog and return and look at just those few with new eyes looking for things that would or wouldn't tip them into possible publication vs not.

So thank you again - I am really chuffed that you have time to share these tips through honest critique, which is happily received

Real Name
    John

Nice captures, sports photography for me is so difficult trying to get the entire figure within the frame. It is so much easier to go for a longer shot and get everything, however I would almost likely miss the look of determination in the sportsperson's efforts to win.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Kay,

It was odd watching this on TV this afternoon having seen the pictures here first
    Nice area - apart from the graffiti on the roads for the benefit of the TV helicopter.

Having seen the course I am all the more impressed with your pictures though.

I kept an eye out for you, but sadly didn't spot you amongst the 'togs.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Martyn

to be honest there is nothing to give a wow factor, pic two is nearly there but the bottom of the wheels are missing (would have been stunning in my view). maybe i am too keen and look for composition, sports editors just look for sharp stitching on the bikers jacket,
    what i would class as a crap picture could be on the front page of a national paper,
    i suppose its horses for courses, if you got the rider in sharp focus then it could be a winning picture, but that doesnt make it a great picture, i will see if i can dig out a link to the tour de france from last year, there was some stunning pics but non made it into the editoral,
    in the end it boils down to what your customer wants, not correct composition, cheers martyn

Real Name
    Martyn

sorry i cant find the link, i would add that expression can make or break a pic, i was doing some white water rafting , i realised there was something missing, the people were just smiling for the camera as they practiced yet in competition mode they showed sheer determination, cheers martyn