Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Dreamland

Real Name
    Gareth

Dreamland

They say an author must write about what he knows...so due to the fact that I don't live close to beautiful welsh waterfalls (Rob!!) or fantastic Vermont forestry (Katy!!) I invite you to sample the "delights" of Margate. with a little, er, social comment thrown in for free

dreamland.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Dreamland

Quote Originally Posted by dragonaxe View Post
    ...so due to the fact that I don't live close to beautiful welsh waterfalls (Rob!!)
    Actually, I can (and do) do the grot! Personally, I don't think it makes all that much difference where you live, unless you particularly want to do pretty landscapes (move to West/North Wales/Scotland), or great street people shots (London/New York). If I lived where you do, I would probably do a project on the run-down aspects of British seaside resorts. Plenty to be going on with there.

The shot you have posted is typical. Just a quick glance at it tells of tourist-destination decay and the passing of a British cultural aspect that started it's decline years ago when package holidays started in the 1960s. I think it lookss better all in BW.

Real Name
    Gareth

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    ...If I lived where you do, I would probably do a project on the run-down aspects of British seaside resorts.
    I thought of that, but I would rather do pretty landscapes. On the other hand, it would be an interesting challenge....and I do need to get my compositional eye practiced! Plus it's prime B&W subject matter, and is right on my doorstep!!!! (not sure if that's a good or bad thing! lol)

Real Name
    Tim

I remember going on the double big wheel in Dreamland; must be sometime in the 60s.

Real Name
    Steve

I thought I lived in a good place, then there was a murder a month close to the entrance to a semi roughland park area, then they found a body in a case near where I was sizing up a photo and one way was the annoying road full of traffic and the other way was either a traffic cone or a case. Can't remember, but I do remember seeing an old abandoned case somewhere.

So now I don't know where to go, because I'm not going there in the early morning again.

I think I would prefer Margate but then everywhere might be the same now. Forget that, it might be haunted now

I thought of that, but I would rather do pretty landscapes.
    Yeah? Well I have news for you - I'd rather shack up with Kate Winslet

I think Margate is a good location. I can see all these grainy BW urban images of closed fun-fair parks, trailer parks, roller-shuttered hot-dog stalls, junkies shooting up under the pier. Think on the bright side. If you get mugged and have your camera knicked you have a great excuse to get a new (read that as 'better') one!

The weather is a bit grim in Margate this week, so it's ideal conditions (louring skies threatening doom). I think you need to get out there. http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/...t_weather.html

Real Name
    Gareth

I've been thinking about it this afternoon....and it's starting to appeal more and more
    Might leave out the junkies under the pier (and not just cos there isn't one!! lol)...sounds a bit risky for my liking. But there's definately a few grimy areas I can already think of going! hmmm, watch this space (and Crimewatch too )

I've been thinking about it this afternoon....and it's starting to appeal more and more
    Might leave out the junkies under the pier (and not just cos there isn't one!! lol)...sounds a bit risky for my liking. But there's definately a few grimy areas I can already think of going! hmmm, watch this space (and Crimewatch too )
    Good man! This is the sort of thing I meant. Some of them work well in colour, others are better in BW. This one was in Tenby, West Wales.

Have a look at these for some inspiration Seaside decay

Dreamland

Real Name
    Gareth

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    Have a look at these for some inspiration Seaside decay
    nice pics!! they even lend themselves to a spot of HDR!!

Real Name
    Steve

Hey Mars, I like mars but I haven't actually had one for years. Ten maybe. cor

Gareth

British seaside towns offer massive photographic opportunities. They symbolise our culture. Buildings fit for an empire then drizzled liberally with tac and cheekiness I suspect most novice photographers think the grass is always greener. I know I did...until you really start to look at your environment. Actually more important is to actually 'feel' your environment. I am lucky in a way because I personally get no mental stimulation from 'pretty' pictures.

Rob is spot on. He lives in the beautiful part of the British Isles but if you look at his 'down at heel' work it tells a real story it echos real people in real places and because of this the images stay with you far longer than an afternoon with Alan Titchmarsh. If you really must do 'nice' I can guarantee you that if you get out and about in Margate, with the right light and the right season you will get some stunners.

I do not 'do' landscapes but even with my limited knowledge you can get something passable from a British seaside town on a dull July day

Dreamland

Dreamland

Real Name
    John

After eating at many buffets and knowing the chances I am taking with my health, I find the photo comical with the Cosmo Buffet in the background and the Toilet sign right in front.