Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Lizard

Real Name
    Raylee

Lizard

I'm looking for feedback on this lizard. Obviously, the photo was taken through glass. I've tried to clean up some dirty spots but I've had trouble fixing some reflection off the glass.

Lizard

I'm also not sure that the blacks are black enough. Anyway, thanks in advance.

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Lizard

Quote Originally Posted by Camellia View Post
    I'm looking for feedback on this lizard. Obviously, the photo was taken through glass. I've tried to clean up some dirty spots but I've had trouble fixing some reflection off the glass.

Lizard

I'm also not sure that the blacks are black enough. Anyway, thanks in advance.
    Hi Raylee,

Nice shot. I like the diagonal lines in the composition and the general balance and proportions in the shot. The shallow DOF works a treat and the bit of red in the background makes it quiet evocative. The sharpness and clarity is just fine.

I do agree that the blacks are a bit light on but I think the issue is more one of correct white balance. There is too much red and green and not enough blue. This could have occurred taking the shot through the glass. Add more blue and I think you will be happier with it and the blacks will fall into place.

Nice shot, Raylee. It's very good considering it was through glass. I can see a bit of flare where his belly meets the log. Have you tried using a polariser and holding the lens directly up against the glass. That will often reduce reflection well. Nice light on the lizard body.

Real Name
    Raylee

Thanks Peter and Rob.

I'll fiddle with the white balance again.

I haven't used a polarizing filter yet with glass. I'm still learning about the effects one has on water. Something to try for sure.

Thanks again.

Real Name
    Gareth

as a slight aside...does using a polarizer reduce reflections with 'through glass' photos? Cheers

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Gareth,

I don't think we have yet. Yes is does, just like polarised sun glasses cut the glare in windows, water and I also use it in rainforests to cut the glare of leaves.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi all,

The best bet for "through glass" shots is to ensure you have no/low reflections and clean glass at the time of shooting. So stand where there are no reflections over the subject, or at least, as here, not over anything important. Take a tissue or duster to clean the glass, although be wary of frightening the inhabitant from their perch with subjects like this! Of course, you can only do one side anyway

Ideally I'd say the best approach is by shooting as near to perpendicular as possible to the glass and (even more ideally) using a rubber squashy lens hood to minimise or even 'seal out' extraneous light from hitting the glass and reflecting back up the lens.

My personal view is that a CPL (circular polariser) would most help kill reflectiond when shooting through glass at 45 degrees, but not when shooting straight on as I am advocating - but it still might help in other ways, for example by giving more saturated lizard and foliage colours from within the vivarium (sp?), but is it worth 2 stops of shutter speed or the iso increase is the question to ask yourself.

Hi Raylee,

I think the shot is pretty good as it stands - I'd be pleased with it, I haven't looked on a histogram, but I don't think the error on blacks is too bad.

One thing you might want to try on that flare spot is to set the brush size to match the spot size, then try a single click of "burn" on it, I suspect mid-tones mode might work best, try repeatedly, with different opacities or modes, undoing each time that doesn't fix it, until you get a click that works. I don't think I explained that very well, also I am talking in Elements/Photoshop terminology, which may not be what you have (?).

Hope that helps, and welcome to the CiC forums from ...