Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mistakes; I've made a few...

Real Name
    John

Mistakes; I've made a few...

..but a fun afternoon of shooting, even if it only lasted five minutes.

f/1.8, 1/4000sec, ISO 200

Mistakes; I've made a few...

Comments welcome, I thought about working on the background but at the same time; it is what it is.

Skaters : Kaile Carcione and Dima Naudzuns
    Last edited by Shadowman; 15th January 2017 at 02:29 AM.

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Mistakes; I've made a few...

I love it and don't notice any mistake... The expression the gal's face is priceless and she is the primary subject.

I'd be quite happy if this image was of my daughter!

IMO, the B.G. is fine but perhaps it could be leveled. But, of course, this would place the skaters at an angle (which they might have been)...

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I love it and don't notice any mistake... The expression the gal's face is priceless and she is the primary subject.

I'd be quite happy if this image was of my daughter!

IMO, the B.G. is fine but perhaps it could be leveled. But, of course, this would place the skaters at an angle (which they might have been)...
    Hi Richard,

Thanks for the comments. This was one shooting experience where I felt good about the ISO chosen and the shutter speed just kept getting better as I watched for overexposed blinkies. Aperture worried me though, I knew it would give me good light and should have blurred the background enough to eliminate distractions but as you can see distance to subject/distance to background not quite optimum. Also worried that shooting wide open (using the 85mm) would lessen sharpness/focus on main subject; but it (aperture) didn't spoil the shot for me.

Real Name
    Terry

It’s a great shot John.

A lot is made on the Forum regarding BG, PoV, angles, etc. and how it could have been better if just this and only if that? And rightly so in some cases and surely for those who are just getting into the sport. But only in some cases. This coming from a hugely technical shooter! (I have no “artistical” ability! I can’t even comprehend what “artistic” means in the context of some of the most prolific {meaning long winded} posters on this site post.

As a “technical shooter”, the comments that address technical deficiencies, have merit, and are immediately dismissed as “well, I made an artistic decision” when those issues could have been addressed is a cop out. But that is just my opinion John.

Your shot nails everything that is cool about a shot like this and under the restrictions you shot from. And that makes it even better if shooting from a restricted PoV. And this is an important note. So as the shooter John, you stuck it as you so often do.

Okay, maybe you might level it? But if this frame is what you have that will put the young lady’s raised hand in question. It absolutely has to be in the frame. If no? Let it bring tension unstraightened! Call it a “Dutch Tilt”!

If you were shooting in a controlled situation, I would say the BG should be changed. If you were shooting in a controlled situation John, knowing you, it would have been already done for the original shot. So I wouldn’t worry too much about that. It would be a cool exercise to do and you have the expertise to pull it off. But if you presented the shot to the pair of skaters would it be cool if they recognized themselves in the actual environment they skated in? Or even better? Present them with this and your retouched version?

You nailed an awesome shot off the cuff from wherever you were.

I can’t think of any better way to spend five minutes sir!

All I can say is "you did it your way" and it looked good!

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    It’s a great shot John.

A lot is made on the Forum regarding BG, PoV, angles, etc. and how it could have been better if just this and only if that? And rightly so in some cases and surely for those who are just getting into the sport. But only in some cases. This coming from a hugely technical shooter! (I have no “artistical” ability! I can’t even comprehend what “artistic” means in the context of some of the most prolific {meaning long winded} posters on this site post.

As a “technical shooter”, the comments that address technical deficiencies, have merit, and are immediately dismissed as “well, I made an artistic decision” when those issues could have been addressed is a cop out. But that is just my opinion John.

Your shot nails everything that is cool about a shot like this and under the restrictions you shot from. And that makes it even better if shooting from a restricted PoV. And this is an important note. So as the shooter John, you stuck it as you so often do.

Okay, maybe you might level it? But if this frame is what you have that will put the young lady’s raised hand in question. It absolutely has to be in the frame. If no? Let it bring tension unstraightened! Call it a “Dutch Tilt”!

If you were shooting in a controlled situation, I would say the BG should be changed. If you were shooting in a controlled situation John, knowing you, it would have been already done for the original shot. So I wouldn’t worry too much about that. It would be a cool exercise to do and you have the expertise to pull it off. But if you presented the shot to the pair of skaters would it be cool if they recognized themselves in the actual environment they skated in? Or even better? Present them with this and your retouched version?

You nailed an awesome shot off the cuff from wherever you were.

I can’t think of any better way to spend five minutes sir!

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the comments and critique. As I adjusted shutter speed on the fly, I kept thinking to myself this is going to work; I'll worry about the background later. I shot another skater later in the day where I decreased shutter speed and worked a bit with panning but this series really felt good.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Tronhard View Post
    All I can say is "you did it your way" and it looked good!
    Hi Trev,

Thanks for commenting.

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Hi Trev,

Thanks for commenting.
    Good image.
    I just wonder how you choice the exposure. I know the light meter should be corrected with a positive value for that white background. You had a EC of 3.67 and matrix metering. How and when did you get to that number?

George

Real Name
    John

In the interests of being "short winded" I'll just say that's a superb capture John.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    In the interests of being "short winded" I'll just say that's a superb capture John.
    Hi John,

Thanks for commenting.

Real Name
    Paul David

Very nice. You have captured the concentration on both of their faces.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    Good image.
    I just wonder how you choice the exposure. I know the light meter should be corrected with a positive value for that white background. You had a EC of 3.67 and matrix metering. How and when did you get to that number?

George
    Hi George,

The EC was set from the night before, I didn't notice it until the end of the shoot. Thanks for commenting.

Real Name
    Binnur

Great one John, congrats

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    Great one John, congrats
    Hi Binnur,

Thanks for commenting.

Real Name
    Sergio

The EC worked out well, John. Great looking couple and shot.

Sergio

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio M. View Post
    The EC worked out well, John. Great looking couple and shot.

Sergio
    Hi Sergio,

Thanks for commenting.

Real Name
    George

Hi George,

The EC was set from the night before, I didn't notice it until the end of the shoot. Thanks for commenting.
    You where lucky.

George

Real Name
    John

You where lucky.

George
    You are right, I always check my camera before doing an excursion; I checked eveything but the EC.

Real Name
    Sergio

You where lucky.

George
    You are right, I always check my camera before doing an excursion; I checked eveything but the EC.
    Luck doesn't make it any less of a shot.

Sergio

Real Name
    George

If you check your histogram you'll have noticed and corrected. I just was wondering when one does do that. If you go for the moment, than there often isn't a second time.

George

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast