Thread: Leisure

Real Name
    Kingshuk Chatterjee

Leisure

Clicked him while in a local train. Light was low, so I used f-5.6 and 1/40 shutter speed. I wanted to focus the flames and that made his eyes slightly out of focus, but depending on what I wanted to show, the leisure, focusing on the eyes and letting the flames out of focus looked less convincing. Also the train was having a little swinging motion so I could not decrease the aperture more. But still the smoke and a half-closed eye in the background gave the opportunity to press the shutter. I would like to have some reviews on this photo. Thanks...

Leisure

Real Name
    John

Re: Leisure

Usually you want the eyes sharply focused, however as you had other elements you wanted to emphasize it's understandable and somewhat acceptable. Hopefully you got more than one shot, I also like the clarity of the smoke as it is an interesting element of the portrait as well. Lighting doesn't look too bad, how high did you go for ISO?

Real Name
    Maurice

You captured what you wanted and that's always a good thing. It's interesting and I like it.

Real Name
    Sergio

I find that it conveys the message well.

Sergio

Real Name
    Richard

Is he smoking a "mind altering" substance! He sure looks like he's smoking a joint In that respect, the slightly blurry eyes do contribute to the look of the image...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 13th January 2017 at 05:45 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

The first thing that strikes me about this image is that the saturation is right over the top. People don't generally have orange skin.

Leisure

In my view, I think your image would have been more successful if you had concentrated on getting your subject's eyes sharp and perhaps a wider aperture would have been more effective. What focal length and camera (i.e. sensor size) were you shooting with?

Real Name
    Kingshuk Chatterjee

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Usually you want the eyes sharply focused, however as you had other elements you wanted to emphasize it's understandable and somewhat acceptable. Hopefully you got more than one shot, I also like the clarity of the smoke as it is an interesting element of the portrait as well. Lighting doesn't look too bad, how high did you go for ISO?
    Thanks. ISO was 800.

Real Name
    Kingshuk Chatterjee

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Is he smoking a "mind altering" substance! He sure looks like he's smoking a joint In that respect, the slightly blurry eyes do contribute to the look of the image...
    Thanks Richard. Exactly that is the reason I found this photo interesting...!

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    It could be a bidi which is a tobacco product.

Real Name
    Kingshuk Chatterjee

It could be a bidi which is a tobacco product.
    yeah it is bidi...

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by KingshukChatterjee View Post
    yeah it is bidi...
    I supected, interestingly, it is illegal to bring the bidi into the U.S., as it could pose a risk to one's health; HA! Actually, the concern is probably mold/toxin related, but doesn't seem to affect this gent's health.

Real Name
    Kingshuk Chatterjee

I supected, interestingly, it is illegal to bring the bidi into the U.S., as it could pose a risk to one's health; HA! Actually, the concern is probably mold/toxin related, but doesn't seem to affect this gent's health.
    (Out of context) Actually, Bidi is considered less harmful than cigarettes by some health experts...:P