Thread: National Western Rodeo

Real Name
    Roger

National Western Rodeo

Annually in Denver, Colorado, USA the National Western Stock Show and Rodeo is held for about 2 1/2 weeks. The day I shot the weather outside was bitter cold with snow on the ground, so I stayed inside. Here are a few shots from the rodeo. The odd lighting within the arena was really tough to deal with and, again, I was in a learning experience with my lenses, aperture settings, etc. etc. Could have done better.

1) Bronco rider at work
    National Western Rodeo
    2) Bull rider out of the gate
    National Western Rodeo
    3) Bull rider at liftoff
    National Western Rodeo
    4) Dismounted with protection
    National Western Rodeo
    5) Rodeo Clown, "Hey bull, get me if you can!!!"
    National Western Rodeo
    6) A tough way to make a living ... bull rider exit.
    National Western Rodeo
    7) Trick Riders 1
    National Western Rodeo
    8) Trick Riders 2
    National Western Rodeo

Real Name
    Maurice

Re: National Western Rodeo

Fantastic and beautiful series. Awesome action and story, nearly as good as being there. Would there be many injuries at one of those rodeos.

Real Name
    John

Nice series, some good angles of view.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by madcrow View Post
    Fantastic and beautiful series. Awesome action and story, nearly as good as being there. Would there be many injuries at one of those rodeos.
    Caveman injuries... Cavemen (Neanderthal and such) would hunt large animals using groups of hunters. Since projectile weapons had not been evolved, killing these beasts was done up close and dangerously.

Studies have been made, by examining skeletal remains, of the injuries incurred. Guess what the modern day equivalent to these injuries is... Those injuries incurred by rodeo riders...

You have done well with difficult scenes.

A pity about some foreground/background elements with the first three; none of which was your fault.

If only the excellent action in #1 had occurred a little further away to give the full clear scene.

There is a 'headless man' in #2 but I find those unconnected hands in the top right corner more distracting.

I like the way you have gone wider in #3 to show the wider scene including good angles on those watching; but a pity about that 'head on the ground'.

But, as I said, not your fault and you have done the best with what was available here.

All the others work very well.

Real Name
    Binnur

Nice series, #6 is super

Real Name
    Roger

Maurice ... thanks for your comments. Yes, regretfully, there can be serious injuries to both man and beast. Perhaps not as much as in the past but certainly this is a risky activity for all accounts. I do appreciate those who have strong feelings against this Western US "sport" which lingers on as a tradition within the deep roots of cattle and cowboy county.

Real Name
    Roger

Shadow man/John ... thanks for your comments.

Real Name
    Roger

Geoff ... Thanks for the helpful comments. I always appreciate your eye and thoughts. As I brought the pictures in from the camera into Photoshop I gave some thought to do more with them than just cropping, white balance adjustments and a little other balancing of toning. If I was doing landscape I would have cleaned up the background/foreground issues you noted, but thought, given the environment, that keeping these things in kept it more true to the nature of the relation to the photographer and subject. The "head" in #3 is the most intrusive for sure. I am going to clean that up for sure, though. Best regards.

Real Name
    Roger

Binnur ... thanks!