Thread: Anyone else up for a 2017 P52?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Anyone else up for a 2017 P52?

Joe has contacted me to ask if P52 would continue next year (2017).

I am happy to do this and wonder, apart from the stalwarts* who managed to get to their 'fourth quarter' threads, if any new members might like the challenge of producing a weekly shot in their own thread(s)?
    Let's not exclude the 'less new' members either, of course

Here is a link to the master thread: 2016 Project 52 - Guidelines, FAQ and Index for those wanting to know more.

All the best, Dave

* Adam, Geoff, Joe, Judith, Lindsay and Janis made it 3/4 of the way, according to the Index!

Pledges below please

I think the concept of a new thread each quarter, meaning a maximum of 13 image posts (one per week, ostensibly), plus replies from others, seemed to work OK (i.e. they don't get too big and take too long to load).

However; do let me know below if you have any better ideas.
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 28th December 2016 at 08:02 PM.

Re: Anyone else up for a 2017 P52?

While you were composing this, Dave, I was submitting a similar thread in the General Discussion Forum.

I'm about to start my 2017 project. Everything worked well for me during the 2016 challenge.

Mod Comment: I paste in below Geoff's words from the other thread, which I will remove so all replies come to one place (and so far all are here), I have however, moved this (my thread) to the General Discussion forum, taking Geoff's lead.

Just a note chiefly for any new CinC Members who have joined over the past year.

The Project 52 Challenge is a fairly easy going personal challenge which requires just the posting of at least one image each week. Sounds easy doesn't it - but quite a few members start out keen then drop by the wayside after a few months.

I think this will be the fifth year. More details on the 2016 Challenge are here.

2016 Project 52 - Guidelines, FAQ and Index

You can make your personal challenge as easy or difficult as you want. Some people make it more of a learning challenge and look for new ways to use their camera equipment or improve their editing skills. But merely uploading anything taken in the appropriate week, plus or minus a few days, will be acceptable. So if you just want a bit of extra incentive to get yourself out and shooting on a regular basis this could be for you.

For example, two years ago I set out to improve my botanical subject skills and to photograph suitable subjects from the same site over a complete year. This proved to be somewhat testing during the darkest winter months but one way or another I survived!

During 2016, I decided to show a person or animal in every scene; maybe quite small and in the background but still there.

For 2017, I am going to explore the use of different size ratios and where possible avoid my commonest ratios of 3 x 2 and 5 x 4.

So it will be entirely up to you to do your own thing but hopefully there will be several other members also taking the challenge who will offer encouragement and advice if required.
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 29th December 2016 at 12:43 AM.

I'm going to think about this hard Dave.
    It might be what I need to get me using more of what I've got.
    I think I've enough lens/camera combo's possible to keep it interesting for at least half the year.
    I'll let you know.

Real Name
    Gary Cantwell

I would be interested in participating in 2017 P52.
    This seems like an ideally opportunity to improve my limited photography skills.

Real Name
    Sandy

I am a bit timid about this but I like the idea of the challenge of trying and so put me down for a 2017 P52 thread. If I understand this correctly, I'll start my thread and explain what I hope to accomplish when January rolls around! Sounds like a plan!

Thanks!

Real Name
    Judith

I am in again. In 2017 I am going to dedicate one day a month to go solo and work on seeing and on capture skills. Some years back I took a course from the Miksang Institute and would like to get back to that approach to photography. Hopefully I will get at least 4 good photos from each session and so be able to maintain the 52 week schedule. I am looking forward to continuing learning and growing as a photographer.

Real Name
    Yes

Could I ask for a clarification.
    Understand one image taken in that week.
    However is it a hard requirement to post the image every week. I am frequently away from base, so editing can be difficult and sometimes internet access is limited or non existant.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by loosecanon View Post
    Could I ask for a clarification.
    Understand one image taken in that week.
    However is it a hard requirement to post the image every week. I am frequently away from base, so editing can be difficult and sometimes internet access is limited or non existant.
    Agreed 'Yes' - go-on, tell us yer name, or a name (we'll be none the wiser)
    and if it is Terry, I guess you'd better make it something else, because we already have another "Loose Canon" that is named Terry! (in US)

Anyways, to answer your question ...

In 2016, and I'm sure previously, we had some members that would 'save up' their images while travelling and then post a few week's worth over a couple of days when they were able to get in front of a computer and establish some internet connectivity.

It is very flexible.

No-one should feel they can't hang either an occasional series, or a regular commitment, in to the 2017 P52 concept.

For example, I have (to date) only made 8 threads in 2016, each from a separate photo session, I have about 3 more sessions I ought to get up before year end though, so that would only be equivalent to once a month, although as there's usually 3 - 6 images in each thread, I hope people don't mind.

Cheers, Dave

In addition to Dave's reply; this is a personal challenge, not a competition and there are no winners or prizes, etc, except for a bit of self satisfaction at the end of the year.

So yes, do your best to keep yourself fairly regular! But don't worry about being flexible.

Just one extra thought.

Because this isn't a competition you can start a bit later if you have missed the first few weeks, or even the first quarter for that matter.

So new members to CinC can still take up the challenge when it suits them.

Real Name
    mark

Im In, maybe I can make it all the way this time.
    Last edited by mknittle; 1st January 2017 at 01:28 AM.