Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: B-17G Super Fortress

Real Name
    Jim

B-17G Super Fortress

2 weeks ago a B-17G Super Fortress was on display at the local airport.I wanted to catch it flying in but it arrived 45 minutes early.
    I did get inside for some photos.
    The crew getting the plane ready for visitors.
    B-17G Super Fortress

Ball Turret
    B-17G Super Fortress

Ball Turret gunner talking to a friend.
    B-17G Super Fortress

Interior shot showing the Ball Turret.The yellow tank is oxygen.
    B-17G Super Fortress

Bombardier postion.
    B-17G Super Fortress

Looking back to the tail through the bomb bay.The guy in the frame is 6" tall.
    B-17G Super Fortress

Chin Gun operated by the Bombardier.
    B-17G Super Fortress

The most dangerous position on the aircraft.
    B-17G Super Fortress

Gun sight on 50cal. waist gun.
    B-17G Super Fortress

Gun sight again.
    B-17G Super Fortress

Dorsal Gun.
    B-17G Super Fortress

Re: B-17G Super Fortress

Excellent plane shots, Jim. The 5D takes a great shot (and I'm sure some of it was down to you too!) Good clarity and colour.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

That's one mean machine, and beautifully photographed.

Real Name
    Steve

I think they are fantastic photo's. So you must have been a flyer because you know such a lot about it and have access I couldn't get.

Real Name
    Jim

Thanks,Rob.
    I'm lovin the 5D!My 50D's no slouch,but I think the 5D renders colours better and I like the extra resolution.The 50D doesn't see a lot of action unless I need the fps and the 1.6X.Mostly wildlife.
    Some of the interior shots were tough because the outside light was really harsh.I feel I've advanced my PP skills a good bit the last 3 months or so.Very pleased with results I'm getting lately.

Real Name
    Jim

Mike,

Thanks for the kind words.
    Yep,it's one mean mother! Hard to take down too.I talked to a pilot that flew 26 missions into Germany.He told about two incidences ,one where they had 1200 holes in the plane,part of the tail blown off and only one engine! The crew was dumping everything they could to keep it in the air to get to land.He put it down in a field.
    Second one only one wheel was down and they couldn't get the other to drop.He had to land in water because it would have blown up trying to land on an airstrip.

Real Name
    Wendy

Excellent shots Jim. You might have missed the landing, but it sure paid off to get there early and be able to get these shots without too many people around. Seeing the inside and the gunners positions really gives a good idea what it must have been like to be on a mission in one of these. Great to see some of the original crew too and being able to talk to the original pilot must have been quite interesting (understatement). It's really good to see that they are still involved.

Wendy

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    I think they are fantastic photo's. So you must have been a flyer because you know such a lot about it and have access I couldn't get.
    Thanks,Steve.
    I'm not a pilot.I've loved aircraft from an early age and have read a lot about aviation and have flown in several different types of aircraft,but never have flown in anything military.I got access to the inside by paying $5.00.It was opened to the public.

Real Name
    Jim

Thanks,Wendy.
    I could have spent hours talking to those guys! When you realize that they were all in their early 20s,it just floors you.I can't imagine me being in that position at that age.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Jim,

Brilliant series, it seems this is another thing you don't do badly (it was you I said that to wasn't it?).

My only 'complaint' is, being an engineer with a similar lifelong interest in aviation, wanting to see them all 200% bigger (but please don't, because I can imagine shots of this quality being ripped). I just like to work out what everything is

The DoF, for f5 - f5.6, looks quite good, I guess the 12-24mm focal lengths used helps out there - I work much longer most of the time, so it seems alien to me

You're right to be pleased with the PP.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Peter

Great work all round Jim. I did enjoy this series.

Real Name
    John

Great shots, lots of variety, and very personal with the combination of human and machine.

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Jim,

Brilliant series, it seems this is another thing you don't do badly (it was you I said that to wasn't it?).

My only 'complaint' is, being an engineer with a similar lifelong interest in aviation, wanting to see them all 200% bigger (but please don't, because I can imagine shots of this quality being ripped). I just like to work out what everything is

The DoF, for f5 - f5.6, looks quite good, I guess the 12-24mm focal lengths used helps out there - I work much longer most of the time, so it seems alien to me

You're right to be pleased with the PP.

Cheers,
    Hi Dave,

Yes,it was me.Not 200%,but here's a link to larger versions http://phoenix54.smugmug.com/Airplan...13761455_fxVz6

I'm not worried about someone rippin' me off.Mouse over on the right in an image and you'll get size options.

I've had the 12-24 for awhile now,but this was the 1st time I really worked with it.
    Last edited by Jim B.; 21st September 2010 at 12:48 PM.

Nice work Jim. I particularly like 1 and 6. I live very close to the Burtonwood (Base Air Depot 1...BAD 1). In 1942 it became a servicing centre for the United States Eighth, Ninth, Twelfth and Fifteenth Air Forces aircraft. 4,243 B17s were either assembled, modified or repaired. In total over 11.000 US aircraft were processed through USAAF Burtonwood in Lancashire between 1942 and 1945. There is not much left now but a few years ago it was still possible to see many of the gigantic hangers and workshops. In the sixties it was taken over by US Army as a supply depot and was eventually returned to the Crown in the late 80's.

http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main...ead.php?t=4214

http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/conte..._feature.shtml

http://www.controltowers.co.uk/B/Burtonwood.htm

Real Name
    Steve

Small world; I crashed one of those gliders but at Spitalgate now a prison. In fact somebody from borstal staged the great escape by landing away from the airfield on his solo. It didn't seem fair that we were expected to do well at school and in the Air Cadets and borstal lads were able to do exactly the same training but without the work.

He did manage to escape.

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ryan View Post
    Great work all round Jim. I did enjoy this series.
    Thank you,Peter.

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Great shots, lots of variety, and very personal with the combination of human and machine.
    Thanks,John.

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Very nice series.....well shot and interesting.

Chuck

The shot of the bombardier's section is really stunning. Looks almost like a beautiful illustration from the 40's...or like a perfectly done CGI still.