Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: how do you see that photo?

Real Name
    omid

how do you see that photo?

Hi every one , i have recently changed my laptop with a new one and i think the so called antiglare monitor isnt working well , I dont exactly know how but at least im sure that something is different. i put a photo I had edited before, please tell me how it looks. my laptop is a lenovo w510
    regards. full jpg photo:
    http://commondatastorage.googleapis....l/40863992.jpg
    smaller thumbnail:
    http://www.panoramio.com/photo/40863992

Real Name
    Peter

Re: how do you see that photo?

I do like the picture - seems fine to me!

There are quite a few settings which will affect the appearance of your display - resolution, colour-depth...the list goes on

How does the picture look in your editing software? And aslo in your browser?

(I'm hoping that Colin will intervene here...!)

Peter

Hi Omid,

I've found a useful check on how your monitor is behaving can be made by going through each page here:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Hope it helps.
    Phil

Real Name
    Steve

I found that useful. In fact it showed my gamma at 1.6 which has now been adjusted, photo's look even better but general screen appears washed out.

It is probably why I like prints, since then I can show photo's that I think look alright whilst I haven't got a clue what people see on their screens.
    Last edited by arith; 21st September 2010 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    I found that useful. In fact it showed my gamma at 1.6 which has now been adjusted, photo's look even better but general screen appears washed out.

It is probably why I like prints, since then I can show photo's that I think look alright whilst I haven't got a clue what people see on their screens.
    Hi Steve, I have a feeling that graphic cards are set to make the screen appear bright and with vivid colours, once you get it adjusted right it can appear a bit washed out if you have got used to that previous look. It reminds me of my days at Kodak when we originally designed photographic films and papers to reproduce colours exactly as they were seen. However, many people did not like it and we had to change the consumer products to make the colours more vivid and emphasise the reds and greens, different manufacturers often went for a different emphasis as I am sure you will recall.

Real Name
    Steve

Cheers Phil, I just had to do it again since normally light shines on the monitor and it is quite a balancing act. The only differences I really notice in my photo's is a low choice of black point in some. The nVidia graphic card does not have sharpness control and the monitor doesn't have any control(except brightness), an lcd Samsung Synchmaster 2032BW.

But I have just about managed gamma 2.2 and brilliance with some contrast 31 and 32 are very close but squinting helps. cheers

Real Name
    omid

thanks every one. i found some good stuff here in which you may be interested . http://mansurovs.com/best-monitor-for-photography
    i think each monitor at its best calibration state has a limit , am i right or just fooled by the marketing?
    Last edited by omidrezatabatabaie; 21st September 2010 at 11:20 AM.