Real Name
    Sergio

Flower Children

Flower Children

Sergio

Real Name
    John

Re: Flower Children

Nicely captured, composed, and processed.

Real Name
    Richard

Love it! Nice capture...

Real Name
    Gary Cantwell

Superb Sergio

Real Name
    Binnur

Very nice Sergio I just wonder if a closer crop would look better as the door with those patterns draw my eyes from the children.

Real Name
    Maurice

Super image, well spotted and taken.

Real Name
    Sergio

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nicely captured, composed, and processed.
    Thank you, John.

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Love it! Nice capture...
    Thank you, Richard. Glad you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Craigie View Post
    Superb Sergio
    Thank you, Gary. I appreciate that.

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    Very nice Sergio I just wonder if a closer crop would look better as the door with those patterns draw my eyes from the children.
    Binnur, I can understand how you and others would find the background distracting, but I was not trying to capture a portrait. For me the background is important in setting the ambiance and context of where they are resting. It's also a point of juxtaposition. If you look closely the pattern in the background has flowers on it. This adds to the theme of what the girls are wearing on their head.

I took the title from the term "Flower Child" which is pretty much synonymous with hippie or the hippie movement. This is what came to mind when I saw them sitting there. I considered that most people might not get the reference, and that's understandable. It also has a double meaning as they are most likely the children of the woman sitting next to them. I felt the way it is best expressed the vision of what I saw.

Thank you for commenting.

Quote Originally Posted by madcrow View Post
    Super image, well spotted and taken.
    Thank you, Maurice. It's appreciated.

Sergio

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio M. View Post
    ~ For me the background is important in setting the ambiance and context of where they are resting. It's also a point of juxtaposition. If you look closely the pattern in the background has flowers on it. This adds to the theme of what the girls are wearing on their head.
    In which case, I think it works well, for me (YMMV), with a crop to the right hand side Sergio.

On balance, I decided it was better cropping so the pale stone touches the edge of frame, rather than retain a slither of brick to the right.

HTH, Dave

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I think these flower children of yours are participants in something??? And yes, I agree with you about the look of the hippies of the forgotten yorn. It was what I thought of first when I saw them. Nice conversion to mono. It adds to the hippie culture look.

Real Name
    Sergio

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    In which case, I think it works well, for me (YMMV), with a crop to the right hand side Sergio.

On balance, I decided it was better cropping so the pale stone touches the edge of frame, rather than retain a slither of brick to the right.

HTH, Dave
    Dave, I'm not sure if the crop you're talking about is one that maintains the same aspect ratio or just takes it off from the right hand side. In either case, I can understand why this seems better to you but, let me try and explain what I see.

By putting the rectangular area up against the right side of the frame it draws my attention and takes my eye out of the frame. Having the brick to the right of the area, stops my eye(at least for me) and keeps it from wandering off. Since the three people roughly form a triangle or pyramid shape, it seems more symmetrical and balanced to have them more or less centered within the frame. Although they are slightly off center because of the woman, the little girl facing to her right draws visual weight in that direction and creates balance. Not that they can't work along the side but, for this particular composition it seems better this way. I also like the vertical lines in the background which serve to anchor and stabilize the composition. These would be lost with more severe cropping.

I hope this helps to explain why I did it the way I did. Thank you for your valued input and wanting to help with my image.

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    I think these flower children of yours are participants in something??? And yes, I agree with you about the look of the hippies of the forgotten yorn. It was what I thought of first when I saw them. Nice conversion to mono. It adds to the hippie culture look.
    Thank you, Izzie. I'm glad someone caught the reference.

I don't think they were participating in anything particular. This was taken in Market Square, which is a very festive area, and the flowers on their head are sold throughout the market in various shops. It's not uncommon to see people wearing these in the market area and even downtown. On this particular weekend they had another stage set up and there was a band playing in the direction the older girl is looking.

Sergio