Thread: Lion at Paradise Valley

Lion at Paradise Valley

I took this shot whilst travelling around. Have not yet got used to photographing animals or birds, so any tips will be most useful. Should I crop, for instance ?

Lion at Paradise Valley

Real Name
    Chris

Re: Lion at Paradise Valley

Nice shot, Jim.

I think it is not quite as sharp as it could be. Not sure if it is a focus issue or a camera movement problem. Looking at the EXIF, I would guess camera movement. In Aperture priority mode, your camera has selected a SS of just 1/80th sec. Your lens was zoomed to 160mm, which means that even with IS/VC swithed ON, you would be very lucky to get a tack sharp image.

You probably know about the rule of thumb re Shutter Speed and Focal Length; best to shoot with a SS at least equivalent to the Focal Length. For example, if shooting at 200mm, best to have a SS of least 1/200th sec (preferably faster).

So, at 160mm, you would choose a SS of at least 1/160th sec. Having said that, most modern lenses have some form of Image Stabilization (IS) or Vibration Compensation (VC) which when turned ON will allow you to shoot at slower SS than the rule would recommend.

For this particular shot, you can see that the camera selected the SS, and it was half the value recommended by the rule (160th). Some brands/types of lens have excellent VC, and will still render a tack sharp image under these conditions. Some will not.

MOD COMMENT

A couple of paragraphs in this post and a whole heap of replies taht will not help Jim directly have been moved to this thread: When Manual is not totally manual
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 5th December 2016 at 09:03 AM.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Is Paradise Valley similar to a zoo? I think you have a focus issue but Chris had already explained that in detail...are there any more of shots from where this one came from? Would you like to share? I promise I will not shred you to bits about it...

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Jim,

As Chris has mentioned, it is not as sharp as it might be, so a further crop would only make this more obvious.

Your framing isn't bad, perhaps not quite as I would have, mainly because for me, the aspect ratio feels a bit 'constrained'.

I'd have framed with a bit more space above, a slither less below and on left hand side.

I think this could be processed to improve it significantly;
    1. 1/3 to 1/2 stop exposure increase
    2. Local Contrast Enhancement
    3. Final sharpening (after the downsize to 1,484px × 857px)
    4. Crop and extend canvas (at top) as described, filling blank canvas with Content Aware generated pixels

Especially if shot RAW.

HTH, Dave
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 4th December 2016 at 09:39 AM.

Real Name
    Randy

Thanks for posting the photo Jim. I always enjoy viewing wildlife photos. The only thing I can add to what others have mentioned is that I notice that the lion has a portion of what looks like his raw-meat-meal clasped between his front paws. I'd have tried to get a "head shot" of him, his paws, and the meat, but I realize that may not have been possible for any number of reasons.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

WOW; looking at this guy we are sure no one else can be the king of the jungle!!!You have kept good space in front of the animal and would be better if there were some more space overhead....
    Regards

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Jim. In addition to Dave's comments, the greens above his head are a bit distracting , so cloning them might be an improvement . I like the image

Many thanks for all your comments. I have got a bit lazy with applying the ratio rule, almost certainly because with my street and event photography I have had good success with relying on vibration reduction. Next time I go to a zoo, or to an animal park I will remember to do things differently. In the meantime I don't want to waste more time with this particular image. Did learn from the views about I should have allowed more space above the lion's head. Actually, I did do that then cropped it out, duh !