Thread: Hello from another new member

Real Name
    Fiona

Hello from another new member

Hi

I have just joined up today to try and really get to grips with my camera setup. I mainly take photos of football (Soccer for those over the ocean), and really get frustrated when I think I have a good photo when I download it, it is slightly "not right".

There is a "semi professional" guy who also takes photos of our games and the quality of what he takes is so much better - yes he has better kit than me but I still dont feel I am getting the best out of my camera.

I have a Canon 750 and tend to use the canon 55mm-250mm lenses for the football photos. I know this is limited by how low I can take the aperture but it was all my budget could stretch to at the moment.

Look forward to getting some hints and tips..

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Hello from another new member

Fiona - It's great to have you here. A lot of what you're writing about is about practice, practice, practice.

Once you get into discussion with folks on here, you'll get a lot of help and advice. The best way to do that is post up some of your stuff, say what you think it good or not good about it and ask people to give you their thoughts and opinions.

By the way - If you wish you can go to Edit Profile and put in your location, so that it appears in the sidebar alongside your message, just like mine beside this message. Then everybody knows where everybody else is.

Real Name
    John

Hi Fiona,

Welcome to the group. What time of day are you taking these sports images?

Real Name
    Fiona

Thanks, location added Donald, thanks for the tip.

John they tend to be in the afternoon (occasionally under floodlights), weather can depend from pouring with rain to sometimes sunny. Today is looking to be a dry crisp frosty day so should be not bad.

It is lower league stuff (Junior for any Scots on the board who know football), so in most cases a crowd of less than 100 standing around so often the back drop is the trees/buildings/fence around the park.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Fiona,

Can I suggest you start a new thread (in General Photography Discussion) complete with a few example pictures, so we can assess and advise according to what we see.

I can think of several issues that might be a problem, but rather than make wild guesses that may be completely irrelevant, it would be helpful to see for ourselves.

You may find this thread helpful:
    HELP THREAD: How can I post images here?
    plus you may find the first post in this thread too:
    How to Get Effective Feedback for your Posted Images

Welcome to the CiC forums from me; Dave!

Real Name
    Fiona

Thanks, I will be taking some this afternoon (in the rain that has now started) so will put a couple up on there.