Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: the sky

Real Name
    Korey

the sky

I went to a lake. This photo was without a tripod. I'm using a point and shot camera.

dscf0120_2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 14th September 2010 at 07:07 PM.

Real Name
    Jim

Re: the sky

Very nice shot! Love the colours.

Real Name
    John

You came, you saw, you captured. Good shoot.

Real Name
    Peter

Nice shot Korey. Thanks for posting. I see it is your first post. Keep them coming and also ask questions of the memebers.

Real Name
    Pops

Very nice shot. I love susnets and lust after shots like this.

Pops

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by korey View Post
    I'm using a point and shot camera.
    Which reminds us that whilst top end gear can help produce top end images, you still need the person behind the lens to see and make the image.

Hope you'll join us long-term and become part of this band of people on a learning journey together.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by PopsPhotos View Post
    Very nice shot. I love susnets and lust after shots like this.

Pops
    Hi Pops,

I am not sure but we missed you for a week or two I think. I know you love sunsets - just wondering, what white balance setting do you use for your suset. I normally put mine on Cloudy.

Real Name
    Pops

I use Program, Cloudy or Landscape, depending on whether the foreground is important, the horizon is important or the skyline is important. If I need to show detail in the ground, then I use the "fiddle" technique to get it exposed and still have the color in the sky. Otherwise, I shoot for a sharp skyline detail and the sky color. This often gives me a silhouette of the horizon, which is fine if the subject is the sunset itself.

I always try to underexpose a stop or stop and one half. I'll still get blown highlights in some parts, but more of the shot will be adjustable in photoshop. One common trick I use is to set exposure on the horizon, just below the skyline and off to one side of the sun by 15 degrees. Then lock exposure and swing back to frame. Othertimes, I'll set the exposure on the Northern or Southern sky, about 15 degrees above the horizon. Sometimes I'll put it on manual and swing through half a dozen settings until I get the balance I want between ground detail and sky color. (See why I call it the "fiddle" technique? ) I've found that the extremely wide light range and extremely wide color range of sunsets tends to drive cameras (and photographers) nutzo. Sunsets when we had only B&W film were sooooo much easier.

I have been a bit scarce for the last few. Getting planning done for the upcoming TEA Party Rally, writing lesson plans, helping the Association fit a 150% increase of students into the same space, preparing for the upcoming winterizing of the retreat cabin, setting up to shoot a jewelry maker's works for appraisal and playing with two new cats doesn't leave me much spare time, just now. It is a bit of an ego boost to know that somebody noticed. Thank you.

Pops

Real Name
    Peter

Thanks Pops, I tend to use matrix metering myself at around f8 and let the meter fall where it may. This tends to underexpose the shot naturally and I then work from there in PP. If I need to expose for the foreground I normally double expose the one shot in ACR and blend but mostly I am exposing for the sky and silhouetting a tree or something. I do want to do more evening shots along the coast so I might need to reconsider when I do that.

You certainly do have a lot on and from what we read down here the TEA Party has raised some eyebrows over there. I will watch with interest.

I have been quiet on the photography side of things myself after my recent short trip. I am fixing up the kitchen at home to get some brownie points so I can then spend time setting up my new studio for workshops, etc. We have an old horse stables with huge hay loft. I am turning the hay loft into a studio space and will later look at turning the old stables into a gallery. The stables used to house 6 draft horses and has timber lined stables, feeders, bluestone floor and nice old timbers. The builder working with me has earmarked November to do the work and I hope to have the studio part ready for classes in the new year.

I am back doing my markets again and have also been asked to run the lecture series for the local community education centre again in the last semester.

I am going into the desert for a weekend in middle of October and I think this will be the first time I get the pick up my camera again in any serious fashion.

Real Name
    Joseph

I'm just plain impressed. This has everything I would want in my pictures !

Real Name
    Mavourneen

Pretty Colors! I can tell that was one amazing sunset!

Real Name
    Pierre

As Donald likes to say, "wait for the sun to go below the horizon" and see what you get. You did and you made a really nice image of the colors.

That is a fabulous shot i love those reflections to what camera are you using ?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjaz View Post
    That is a fabulous shot i love those reflections to what camera are you using ?
    Welcome to CiC Chris(?), If you wouldn't mind clicking the "My Profile" button on the top of this page, and filling out your profile (mainly your first name and where you are from), that would be great. We tend to be on a first-name basis at this site.

You will note that this thread is almost 4-1/2 years old and the member in question is not active, I rather doubt that you will get an answer to your from him. But that really doesn't matter, any camera can get a shot like that; so really it's not about the camera, but rather the setting and the timing (just before sunset) that makes this kind of shot.