Thread: 10 Things to Avoid

Real Name
    John

10 Things to Avoid

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: 10 Things to Avoid

With the exception on his view on bevel & emboss (that's just his personal taste coming through) and the comments on the quality of code generated by Photoshop (something I know nothing about), I agree 100% on everything else he mentions and in fact this is the way I work.

There is nothing wrong with experimenting (its something I do all the time), the techniques he suggests make it easier to experiment.

Thanks for posting - this is definitely one of the best free videos I've seen.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Thanks for posting - this is definitely one of the best free videos I've seen.
    Really?

I got bored before reaching the end of the first item (bevel and emboss) and gave up - is it worth a second look?

Perhaps I'll 'feed my face' and I'll have more endurance after a meal

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

The bevel and emboss part is terrible, but he spends a lot of time on "newbie" mistakes on doing things that are over the top. He demonstrates the basics of non-destructive work flow extremely effectively.

I'm only looking at the content - the presentation (starting with the over the top microphone stand) leave a lot to be desired.

Real Name
    Chris

It's really basic PS 101 but so much of what people use PS or even LR for is tricks and gimmicks. I bypassed all the BS, of which there was much, and looked strictly at the no-no's and it's Scott Kelby 101a...bleah!

Real Name
    John

What I found interesting is that he says don't do it and then shows you how to; badly.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    What I found interesting is that he says don't do it and then shows you how to; badly.
    In fact he goes over the top on the badly side. That being said, I recognize some of the mistakes I made when I started using Photoshop.

I see a lot of bad PP work and my rule of thumb is that you should not be able to see that the image has been editing. It's all about being subtle.