Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Perigree Moon - November 14th 2016

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

The Perigree Moon - November 14th 2016

"November’s Full Moon is a “Perigee” Moon—when the Moon reaches the point in its orbit that is closest to Earth. This is popularly called a “Supermoon.” In addition, this Perigee Moon (or, Supermoon) will also nearer to Earth than it’s been since January 26, 1948.

While the Moon won’t technically be getting any bigger, it will appear up to 14% larger than when it is at its furthest point.

Further, the full Moon of November 14 is not only the closest full Moon of 2016 but also the closest full Moon to date in the 21st century and it won’t come this close to Earth again until November 25, 2034."

I'm going to be at 56.2802°N 3.3893°W, looking over some of my favourite trees that have featured in a number of images that I've posted here in the past.

Where are you going to be?

Real Name
    Jim

Re: The Perigree Moon - November 14th 2016

Hopefully, in Palos Verdes. There is a park that overlooks the whole L.A. Basin. I have two moon rises to get a good shot. Sunday evening at 99.5% full and Monday evening 99.7% full. If I were really a photographer, I'd get up pre-dawn on Monday morning and shoot the moon setting into the sea, but I'm merely a hack who likes to sleep in the wee hours of the morning.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Jimr1961 View Post
    Hopefully, in Palos Verdes. There is a park that overlooks the whole L.A. Basin. I have two moon rises to get a good shot. Sunday evening at 99.5% full and Monday evening 99.7% full.
    I'm liking Saturday 12th (94.4%). That will take quite a bit of light off the surface and allow for more definition on surface features.

Real Name
    Jim

Good point. Wish I were in town that evening.

Real Name
    Jean

I will be in Paris and try to get a nice point of view

Ideally I'd like to be out in Poway CA at my son's new house as it's out in the country pretty much and there aren't a lot of city lights to contend with. He's getting married first part of Dec so will probably be getting ready for that though, so I'm not really planning on it happening.
    I may just have to be content with my own backyard.

Donald, I just used google maps to see where exactly you'll be. Looks like you're not far from that famous golf course St Andrews or am I mistaken?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysOnAuto View Post
    Donald, I just used google maps to see where exactly you'll be. Looks like you're not far from that famous golf course St Andrews or am I mistaken?
    Nope, you're not mistaken. St Andrews is just about 40 minutes from me. Lovely town and glorious beach.

And, what a lot of folks don't know - The Old Course is owned by St Andrews Links, a local trust, NOT by the Royal & Ancient Golf Club. One of the rules of the trust is that there shall be no gold played on a Sunday. So, on a Sunday the most famous gold course in the world (arguably) becomes a public park and everyone and anyone can go for a walk over the course. I've done it a number of times. It's one of those unique Scottish features that many people from abroad find amazing.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Sorry for the typos folks, but I'm not being allowed to post edits at the moment. I don't know if others are experiencing this problem. Sean (site owner) knows about it.

I'm seeing a problem with the tinypic.com app.

Now that would be an interesting place to take a walk. And it wouldn't be ruined by chasing a little white ball either!
    I try to watch the Open on TV, not that I golf, but just to see the different courses and I like when the cameras pan around and show the surrounding areas too.

Real Name
    James

i won't be any place special, just in my backyard with telescope and camera, hoping that the clouds are nowhere to be seen

Real Name
    Jean

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Sorry for the typos folks, but I'm not being allowed to post edits at the moment. I don't know if others are experiencing this problem. Sean (site owner) knows about it.

I can't post a new thread since this morning.

Real Name
    John

When you live in the city "where are you going to be?" is very important as where I live those perfect moon shots are often blocked by something or other. I need a good high vantage point.

Real Name
    Dan

...Where are you going to be?
    We'll be on our way to the airport that night and on a plane bound for New Zealand in the wee hours

In case anyone is wondering, we WILL NOT be changing our travel plans to record the phenomenon

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Depending on what time of the night it will be, I will be home after 9pm, so I might make it to photographing what I can photograph in my front yard if the clouds will not be in the way. I have to see what the weather will be like. We can trace it via the Ephemeris, can we? but not the cloud.

Good luck Richard! Love Oz and New Zealand. You might get to photograph the moon from the comfort of your plane seat.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    We can trace it via the Ephemeris, can we? but not the cloud.
    Yep, you can see where moonrise is going to be from any given spot.

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

Great information - evenings around the 14th now blocked out in the diary. Fingers crossed it's clear !
    One 'fact' I heard is that moonrise on a full moon is the same time as sunset, something I never knew before last month's full moon. But I have just googled moonrise time for Oxford on 14 November and it says 13.52..... ideas anyone ?

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I was looking at my 10-day weather condition here and it says cloudy on the 14th. Hubby said not to lose faith as the 14th is still a few days away, who knows what will happen? I will keep a good watch each day...

Real Name
    Peter

"November’s Full Moon is a “Perigee” Moon—when the Moon reaches the point in its orbit that is closest to Earth. This is popularly called a “Supermoon.” In addition, this Perigee Moon (or, Supermoon) will also nearer to Earth than it’s been since January 26, 1948.

While the Moon won’t technically be getting any bigger, it will appear up to 14% larger than when it is at its furthest point.

Further, the full Moon of November 14 is not only the closest full Moon of 2016 but also the closest full Moon to date in the 21st century and it won’t come this close to Earth again until November 25, 2034."

I'm going to be at 56.2802°N 3.3893°W, looking over some of my favourite trees that have featured in a number of images that I've posted here in the past.

Where are you going to be?
    Thanks for the heads up Donald, I'm hoping to capture something of this event providing the sky is clear or with minimal cloud.

You mention including trees in your moon shots. How do you propose to capture detail in the trees (I'm assuming a long "ISH" exposure) without losing detail in the moon due to its movement across the scene during the exposure?

I have a lone tree in mind for my potential scene.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Brian

in our garden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast