Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Late evening Sun on Mt Conness overlooking Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Late evening Sun on Mt Conness overlooking Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

It is known that Tenaya Lake was one of Ansel Adams' favourite locations within Yosemite. When you've admired his work for so long and you find yourself there, it is hard to not go to the precise locations he was at and try to 'copy' his images.

I was very clear that when I was in Yosemite I wanted to make my images, not copy Adams' images. I worked hard at that and I hope I have succeeded. Those who know Adams' 'Tenaya Lake, Mount Conness' will recognise the granite edifices in this picture.

There are other images of Tenaya Lake that I will be processing and will present for your critique.

Your views and assessment of this image will be welcomed.

Late evening Sun on Mt Conness overlooking Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park
    Last edited by Donald; 21st October 2016 at 08:12 PM.

Real Name
    Bill

Re: Late evening Sun on Mt Conness overlooking Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

Omg!!!!!!!!!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Late evening Sun on Mt Conness overlooking Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

Quote Originally Posted by billtils View Post
    Omg!!!!!!!!!
    It's not that bad, is it?

Real Name
    Robert

Excellent, Donald. I admire your views

Real Name
    John

That's masterful Donald. I have feeling that we are in for a treat.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I just love the subtle tonalities that make the rock faces so appealing.

I remember you mentioning that you forgot to change the clock in your camera to properly time stamp the images. Did you correct that data in the image files?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you, everyone, for the comments above.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I remember you mentioning that you forgot to change the clock in your camera to properly time stamp the images. Did you correct that data in the image files?
    Yes I did, Mike. But you've just reminded me - I haven't changed the cameras back yet.

This particular capture was at 6:56pm.

Real Name
    Marie

Wonderful scene and beautifully captured Donald.

Real Name
    Dan

Lovely image, Donald. Must be viewed large to appreciate the details and subtle tones. Really excellent. Well done.

Real Name
    Kim

Beautiful Donald. Makes me want to visit there.

Real Name
    Terri

I have so much respect for how you set your goals and then go about accomplishing them. Beautiful!

Real Name
    John

Interesting exposure, seems like a bleak journey to reach the light at top.

Real Name
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I was very clear that when I was in Yosemite I wanted to make my images, not copy Adams' images.
    Nice image, Donald. One way to "not copy Adams' images" would be to post in colour. It's not 1940 or 1950 anymore. I spent 1990 - 2010 visiting Yosemite and found colour images quite acceptable. Your view?

Real Name
    Jim

Outstanding! I bet Conness was just lit up with alpenglow.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
    Nice image, Donald. One way to "not copy Adams' images" would be to post in colour. It's not 1940 or 1950 anymore. I spent 1990 - 2010 visiting Yosemite and found colour images quite acceptable. Your view?
    I much prefer making B & W images. I don't think the decade is relevant.

Real Name
    Grahame

Good one Donald.

It's one of those images you sit back and stare at for a while to fully appreciate.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I dunno about good enough to be hung on a wall, it looks good enough to be a wall (imagine that for a moment).

I couldn't possibly suggest any variation, far less an 'improvement'.

I could go on about why I think it works so well, but that would likely just reveal how little I know about landscape shooting.

Dave

Real Name
    Maurice

The place looks vast, bleak and desolate and you captured it all in one image. A very well done.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Again, my thanks to everyone who took the time to comment. As I've said before, all comments are taken on board as learning tools for the future.

I'm slowly working my way through the photos I captured during my time in Yosemite and the Eastern Sierra, trying to impose a very rigid, high standard to what I decide to process and publish. I hope folk will keep commenting as I post images here and, in particular, give their critique. No-one is right or wrong if you write an honest opinion of your thoughts. So, please don't think that you are 'unqualified' to comment. Everyone is allowed to have a view.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Awesome image...my mind desires to see this in it original colours too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast