Thread: Unique way to dodge and burn portraits

Real Name
    Richard

Unique way to dodge and burn portraits

Al least this is new to me. I have not tried it yet but, wonder how others feel about this system?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPBdizq_POA

Real Name
    John

Re: Unique way to dodge and burn portraits

I sometimes use a layer in a similar way to infill colour to overcome blemishes but retain the underlying texture - e.g. on a flower petal - but this is much more sophisticated. Filed away for future reference. Thanks for posting Richard.
    Last edited by John 2; 17th October 2016 at 09:04 AM.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

This will be good to have in my file too.. thanks Richard.

Real Name
    Richard

I decided to file this away for some rainy day when I have absolutely nothing to do. However with my multitude of rescue dogs and the lack of rain in Southern California, I don't forsee me doing this at any time soon...

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Thanks for posting this Richard.

I use somewhat similar methods for dodging and burning, but I use the Overlay blending mode and use Flow rather than Opacity when I brush. Opacity increases the density by the percentage that is selected and it takes a release of the mouse button and new click to increase the density the same amount whereas flow increases the amount with every pass. As I use a Wacom tablet, the flow which is linked to pen pressure is a great way to build up the amount of dodging or burning.

I also do my dodging and burning on separate layers. One reason for that is that burning this way increases the saturation and the colour can shift if the burning is fairly heavy duty, so I use a clipping mask to control the saturation.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post

I use somewhat similar methods for dodging and burning, but I use the Overlay blending mode and use Flow rather than Opacity when I brush. Opacity increases the density by the percentage that is selected and it takes a release of the mouse button and new click to increase the density the same amount whereas flow increases the amount with every pass. As I use a Wacom tablet, the flow which is linked to pen pressure is a great way to build up the amount of dodging or burning.

I also do my dodging and burning on separate layers. One reason for that is that burning this way increases the saturation and the colour can shift if the burning is fairly heavy duty, so I use a clipping mask to control the saturation.
    I have a Wacomm Tablet but I have not installed it yet. It is still waiting in the box...

Real Name
    John

I thought I would try this on some work in progress. YES in progress. It looks like the same sort of technique can be used for other things as well.

I removed some light reflection from the eye. And very subtle changes to, eyes, lips and nose. I used layer opacity as the main control using the GIMP. It's a lot easier to do than it looks.

Some one else's photo. He had toned his and I wonder if lighting played some part in the result.

John
    -

Real Name
    John

Done with a bit more care. Thanks for posting the video link. Useful even with the GIMP much easier than using the dodge and burn tool.

In the GIMP I used a separate layer for each feature change and used various degrees of gaussian blur or none and tidied up with the eraser and the thumb. I found the thumb best for doing the wavelet cosmetic work. Some select an areas and blur but I think the thumb gives more control of how much is removed.

Given the skin colouration of the original and that I've not tried this before I'm pleased with the result.

John
    -

Real Name
    Dan

Hi Manfred,

would you be willing to describe how you do this?

Thanks

Dan

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Hi Manfred,

would you be willing to describe how you do this?

Thanks

Dan
    Sorry about the delay in getting back to you - I've been rather busy over the past few days.

Here is a screen shot of a burn and dodge that I use fairly regularly. Both the burn and dodging layers is done using a 50% gray layer that uses the overlay blending mode. To dodge, I paint with a white brush set to 100% opacity and around 3 - 4% flow. I will adjust the opacity of the layer to tone down the dodge intensity, as required.

The burn work is put into a Group, with both the 50% gray layer using overlay blending mode. I use a black brush, with 100% opacity and 3-4% flow. On top of this layer I have a hue / saturation adjustment layer so that I can take some of the saturation out of the spots that I burn. The reason that I use a group is so that I can tone down the burn effect, as required.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

John (ajohnw) -- considering the colourization of the skin (purplish?) of your first load (post #7), the second one is very nicely done (Post #8).

Real Name
    John

Manfred does the hue saturation layer start from mid grey as well. The GIMP has this layer type available but I have never found out how to make use of it. If it is variations in grey levels that controls the changes that would explain why.

Thanks Izzie. I'm not sure what was going on with the raw file from this shot. It was posted by Pat David for people to play with. He uses it in one of his blog posts. He seems to like toning things and I have a feeling that there is something odd about the lighting he used so I initially just fiddled with a chromasity slider a bit. I've no idea what the ladies skin tone should be which doesn't help.

John
    -

Real Name
    Erik

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you - I've been rather busy over the past few days.

Here is a screen shot of a burn and dodge that I use fairly regularly. Both the burn and dodging layers is done using a 50% gray layer that uses the overlay blending mode. To dodge, I paint with a white brush set to 100% opacity and around 3 - 4% flow. I will adjust the opacity of the layer to tone down the dodge intensity, as required.

The burn work is put into a Group, with both the 50% gray layer using overlay blending mode. I use a black brush, with 100% opacity and 3-4% flow. On top of this layer I have a hue / saturation adjustment layer so that I can take some of the saturation out of the spots that I burn. The reason that I use a group is so that I can tone down the burn effect, as required.
    Quick Question - Do you separate the dodge and burn into two separate layers to allow the Saturation Adjust?

I do nearly the same method except just on a single layer. I cycle between White and Black to burn and dodge as needed on the single layer.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigE View Post
    Quick Question - Do you separate the dodge and burn into two separate layers to allow the Saturation Adjust?

I do nearly the same method except just on a single layer. I cycle between White and Black to burn and dodge as needed on the single layer.
    There are a couple of reasons to do it on two separate layers:

1. I will often reduce the opacity of the burn and dodge layers and the amount they need to be reduced is rarely identical. This is easy to do if you separate your burn and dodge but impossible to do if they are done on the same layer.

2. The saturation adjustment is only required for the burn, so again, another good reason not to do both processes on the same layer.

Real Name
    Dan

Manfred,

Thanks very much

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk