Thread: Sony image stabilization with Sigma Lenses

Sony image stabilization with Sigma Lenses

Hello Everybody,

I read that Sony cameras have a built-in image stabilizer. but I don't get it very well. Does that image stabilizer work with non OS Sigma lenses? Which means that all sigma lenses are stabilized on Sony cameras? Or does it only work on Sony lenses?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Sony image stabilization with Sigma Lenses

Hi Mathew,

Assuming it is switched on in the camera's menu system, I would expect it to work with all lenses, no matter who makes 'em.

If you state your camera's model, someone with the same, or similar, may pop up and advise more accurately on how to check this.
    I gather you may need to tell it what focal length is attehed, so it can tailor the OS to that.

HTH until someone better comes along.

Real Name
    Remco

Hi Mathew,

I have a Sony A-330, and a Sigma 70-300 telezoom. This lens does tell the camera which focal lenght is used (I get the actual focal length used in the EXIF information). As the image stabiliser works by moving the sensor, I'd expect it to work with all lenses, but I've no proof of that (and the manual is desperately silent on such details )

Remco

Yes, the Sony Alpha camera image stabilization will work with any lens, assuming you have it turned on. There is an indicator in the viewfinder (or Live View) that shows the vibration level, so that you can see how steady you are holding the camera.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by mathew18 View Post
    Hello Everybody,

I read that Sony cameras have a built-in image stabilizer. but I don't get it very well. Does that image stabilizer work with non OS Sigma lenses? Which means that all sigma lenses are stabilized on Sony cameras? Or does it only work on Sony lenses?
    Hi Matthew,

Just "for the record" when it comes to built-in image stabilisation there are two "camps" - Canon maintain that by putting the stabilization in the lens that they can better match the stabilisation requirements to the characteristics of the lens, and because auto-focus sensors aren't part of the stabilised mechanism then putting it in-camera is likely to decrease AF performance, especially in low-light situations. Additionally, what you see through the viewfinder isn't stabilised with in-camera OS.

Real Name
    Remco

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Matthew,

(...)
    Additionally, what you see through the viewfinder isn't stabilised with in-camera OS.
    I find that actually somewhat of an advantage sometimes, as it makes me aware of camera shake, so I check my exposure time (I most often use aperture selection).
    Agreed that it can be a b**** to keep the AF sensor on spot (not to mention precise composition...)

The big advantage of in-body stabilisation is that it is there for all lenses, whenever you need it (so I can have stabilisation on my 50 f1.7 and hand hold at 1/20s, for example).
    Of course, you can now get Sigma's with in-lens for the A-mount, so hopefully someone will do some tests on how the two actually compare in use. I suspect that in a lot of cases the final effect is similar, but with longer lenses in-lens will come out ahead due to the AF and viewfinder advantages.

Assuming that is the case, what you want is both - in body for shorter lenses (so you don't need to add the cost / weight of IS to wide or normal lenses) and in-lens on the longer lenses - with the body detecting active IS on the lens and automatically turning off the in-body IS!

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Whilst all gizmos such as image stabilization have their uses, isn't there an argument that one should concentrate on basic camera technique first and not rely on technical wizardry. Automation of any kind has its uses, but can be fooled, and it's quite useful to know what, where, how, and when.
    And yes I do have a stabilized lens!
    (Just noticed the latest tutorial!)
    Last edited by Clactonian; 24th September 2010 at 04:50 PM.

Hi Mathew
    I have a Sony camera & a Sigma lens. Lenses are precise as to the mount/s they suit/fit, so when you are looking for a new one notice that they do specify the mount they fit. This means I can't have a Nikon or Canon lens. I understand that there are adaptors for these lenses, but as I have not been in the market for one of them, I haven't bothered to go into detail. Having said that, my wish is to upgrade to the Nikon D700 or whatever replaces it. (If wishes were horses beggars would ride!) As Colin said, ergonomics plays a big part, but then, so does image quality.
    I hope I haven't confused you.
    Have fun
    NIhia
    Last edited by Nihia; 11th November 2010 at 08:37 AM.