Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The South Wales valleys

The South Wales valleys

I thought I'd start a new project of photographing the South Wales valleys http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Wales_Valleys It will probably keep me going for the next ten years.

You might also be interested in these slideshow shots taken over a two year period at the mining museum in Blaenavon (also part of the valleys) Mining museum at Blaenavon

I'm happy to have comments on the shots, but please do not make comments about any private houses or the people who may live in them. All shots are taken from a public space.

If you have any shots of the SW valleys, you may post them here, but please, not other areas.

Bettws - For sale
    The South Wales valleys

Bettws - Community shop
    The South Wales valleys

Bettws - Eastside stores
    The South Wales valleys

Bettws - Housing
    The South Wales valleys

Blaengwynfi - Fisheye 1500pix version for detail This one look really good printed.
    The South Wales valleys
    Last edited by carregwen; 9th September 2010 at 05:56 PM.

Real Name
    Peter

Re: The South Wales valleys

An interesting project Rob,

When I read the title I assumed you were talking about landscapes of the beautiful valleys in Wales. I see you mean a more photojournalistic look at the socio economic side of life.

I watch with interest.

Real Name
    Tommy

Apart from the last one, you're painting a rather grim image of South Wales

I'm sure you'll balance it out with some of the beauty that our wonderful country has to offer

Real Name
    Jeroen

Hi Rob,
    Is this a project just for yourself? Or did you receive a request or something? It would form a great exposition for a local culture club or something like that. Taking photo's of the same place more often will definitely increase the quality of your shots and I'm curious to see some of it. Are you going for BW shots in particular (it would suit the subject beautifully I recon).
    Anyway, I'll stop by for some comments if I have the time.

Rob

I think this kind of recording contributes to an important cultural archive (and I am not joking for once...very tempted though). Your images capture South Wales as it is for the vast majority of the population not just the 2nd home owners and Goretex fetishists. We see more than enough of the tourist spots. Like so many places of extreme beauty in Britain the relative economic remoteness and death of heavy industry means that the reality of life for the local populations is a far cry from the popular image of rural or wilderness bliss.

I hope you are going to put these images somewhere accessible. They are far more relavant to the sensibilities of those who live there than postcard pretty images that are popular with people who insist on panama hats and cushions to adorn the back seat of Volvos.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by JK6065 View Post
    Hi Rob,
    Is this a project just for yourself? Or did you receive a request or something? It would form a great exposition for a local culture club or something like that. Taking photo's of the same place more often will definitely increase the quality of your shots and I'm curious to see some of it. Are you going for BW shots in particular (it would suit the subject beautifully I recon).
    Anyway, I'll stop by for some comments if I have the time.

Thanks, Jeroen. No, I wasn't asked by anyone. I just thought that it's a great area to photograph and there is so much of it. Ok, it's not pretty landscape stuff, but it's still interesting (I think so, anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Rob

I think this kind of recording contributes to an important cultural archive (and I am not joking for once...very tempted though). Your images capture South Wales as it is for the vast majority of the population not just the 2nd home owners and Goretex fetishists. We see more than enough of the tourist spots. Like so many places of extreme beauty in Britain the relative economic remoteness and death of heavy industry means that the reality of life for the local populations is a far cry from the popular image of rural or wilderness bliss.

I hope you are going to put these images somewhere accessible. They are far more relavant to the sensibilities of those who live there than postcard pretty images that are popular with people who insist on panama hats and cushions to adorn the back seat of Volvos.

Steve
    Thanks, Steve. A well-crafted response, up to your usual high standard (we don't get this on POTN!) I like the idea of the juxtaposition of Wales - on the one hand stunning scenery and peace, on the other the savage effect of the death of some of it's industry, and all of the social consequences that it entails.

Real Name
    Tommy

Point taken

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Rob

I think this kind of recording contributes to an important cultural archive (and I am not joking for once...very tempted though). Your images capture South Wales as it is for the vast majority of the population not just the 2nd home owners and Goretex fetishists. We see more than enough of the tourist spots.

Steve
    I've seen dwellings such as these in a few movies and there were also shots of the interiors and my first impression was that they were 2nd homes to the inhabitants.