Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Forest

Real Name
    Richard

New Forest

I stopped at a motorway layby on the way home today and took a few pics, I'd love to get some criticism as I've no idea what I'm doing. Anyway here are some of the pics:

New Forest

New Forest

New Forest

New Forest

New Forest

Real Name
    John

Re: New Forest

Richard,

The first question I would ask you is what were you trying to achieve when you took the photos?
    Secondly, in my opinion, trees or their leaves in general are the hardest subject to photograph unless you really isolate the leaves. You can achieve great images of landscapes if there is more to view than just the trees. For instance, a good background of color including clouds or other objects add emphasis to the entire image.

The first photograph could be made more interesting if you change your perspective and including more of the path in the image. Also, try to capture the tops of the trees or like the other comment, include more of the sky. The third image is nice but inclue more of the sky and less of the foreground. The spider image is nicely composed as is the image of the log. I am only commenting on the composition not the quality of the image. Viewed from a distance each looks fine but there appears to be some focusing issues with each. Could you include your camera model and settings?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Richard,

You talk such rubbish, here, I'll prove it;
    ... as I've no idea what I'm doing.
    Now stop that

OK, some critique on the pictures;
    #1;
    New Forest
    For me, a little too saturated and contrasty, that might just be down to sun angle, later still (in summer), or in the morning might be better for this shot. Fill light in PP would help. The composition isn't bad, but I might have stood a bit further left. Possibly suffers from having too much in focus (f/10), as such, it isn't obvious what the subject is.

#2;
    New Forest
    Not 'too much in focus' on this one and I like the effect and the composition (almost). Possibly standing just a little further right might have helped, just to 'separate' the foliage on left and right sides of the trail. I do like the lighting and the focus point, a good time of day for this shot!

#3;
    New Forest
    I think the sky is the subject here, you can lose a good third or more off the bottom to get a 'rule of thirds' shot (with 2/3 sky). All of them would benefit from being bigger, but especially this one, I'd say 1200 wide so we can see more detail and let that sky wrap around the viewer (assuming they F11 and click the image).

#4;
    New Forest
    A good find, well caught with very nice composition of web and spider, but in need of better sharpening and some fill flash to illuminate the spider, probably with some -FEC applied so as not to overpower the backlit web, the camera's own flash would have done, and it's not as if you didn't have it with you.

#5;
    New Forest
    Great composition. However, it would (wood?) be better with a smaller aperture than f/7.1 (the far end is quite soft) and with better sharpening, including some Local Contrast Enhancement (LCE) given the mono conversion (mono needs good contrast, but not crushed blacks).

Was well worth stopping on the way home; a good series, but despite my long list of improvements, shows you have an eye for a picture.

Well done and I hope the feedback is helpful,

Real Name
    Peter

Good summary Dave. I agree with your comments.

Richard these all show promise and you should have more confidence in yourself. You are out there seeing cameos in the landscape that other just walk past and take no notice of. Keep honing your vision.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ryan View Post
    Richard these all show promise and you should have more confidence in yourself. You are out there seeing cameos in the landscape that other just walk past and take no notice of. Keep honing your vision.
    Richard,

I'm one of those that often walks past , but I can usually, when presented with a picture, see how to make it better - but that doesn't mean I would have done what I am suggesting you do, seeing it is key and half the time I just don't when I'm 'out there'

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

I'm sure you will find the comments below of great help. Interestingly so do I. Critiques of any photograph can be so useful; to compare other people's views with one's own.
    I'm envious that you should have such views on your doorstep, and look forward to seeing some more.
    On my screen the images do seem a little over-saturated.
    Keep them coming.

With the last photo, can anybody else see a dog going for a paddle; or is it just my warped imagination?

It might be worth trying a little bit of selective sharpening on the head end, Richard.

Spiders in webs are difficult to photography. They blow around in the slightest breeze which makes focus very problematic. I always use a tripod for this type of shot, but even then it isn't easy to get a perfect shot. I did try some today but I'm almost certain that everyone will get ditched.

Incidentally, the spider is Araneus diadematus (The Garden Spider).

Real Name
    Richard

Now you mention it I can see a yorkshire terrier shadow.

With the spider I did find the focus impossible and I should have taken a pile of shots but I still suffer from a wish to conserve film (last time I did any photography I was 13 and couldn't afford to process many). It's nice to know what it is, do you know what the back marking colours should be? They came out a bit unrealistically neon blue but I thought it looked cool.

Clactonian, it's funny I'd never really thought that such stuff would be right next to the layby. For me it's an inconvenient long and heavy traffic commute and I only really stopped because I couldn't be bothered with the traffic and had the camera with me.

Dave, I know what you mean I've seen so many pictures I love but know I'd never have thought to take them and even now given the same scene I wouldn't see the same picture to take it. I really wonder how people see these things and why I don't.

I have relooked at the first shot's processing and I hope this is a much better job taking into account the above comment.
    New Forest

Thanks for the help and vote of confidence.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post

Dave, I know what you mean I've seen so many pictures I love but know I'd never have thought to take them and even now given the same scene I wouldn't see the same picture to take it. I really wonder how people see these things and why I don't.

New Forest

Hi Richard,
    I used to drive through the country and say there’s a hill, there’s a forest. I couldn’t see the wood for the trees. A friend of mine told me to look for the cameos. This still didn’t improve my vision straight away.

After learning some of the composition techniques that can be used in photography I started to notice that film directors used a technique of holding a shot that they thought important for mood or effect for a short period, say half a second or so. I started to evaluate these scenes by quickly determining what composition technique did they use, did I like it and if so why or why not.

I found this technique allowed me to develop my eye for seeing photo opportunities quickly. Having said that it suits my style and may not suit everyone else’s. I came at photography with no art training whatsoever, I am an accountant and work in finance, so if I can improve my vision I am sure everyone else can. Good Luck.

Real Name
    Richard

Funny that, I'm a trainee accountant for my sins.

Funny that, I'm a trainee accountant for my sins.
    Lucky man that you even need to account for your sins. At my age I can't afford any sins.

Real Name
    Peter

Very, Very good friends of mine live in Awbridge and whenever I visit we always go walking in the New Forest. It is a special place. Keep showing images from there.

Real Name
    Richard

It is a nice place I fully intend to spend more time there, if nothing else there are several more laybies to investigate

Real Name

I have relooked at the first shot's processing and I hope this is a much better job taking into account the above comment.
    New Forest
    Yes, that's much better on the saturation etc.

Real Name
    John

With the spider I did find the focus impossible and I should have taken a pile of shots but I still suffer from a wish to conserve film (last time I did any photography I was 13 and couldn't afford to process many). It's nice to know what it is, do you know what the back marking colours should be? They came out a bit unrealistically neon blue but I thought it looked cool.

Clactonian, it's funny I'd never really thought that such stuff would be right next to the layby. For me it's an inconvenient long and heavy traffic commute and I only really stopped because I couldn't be bothered with the traffic and had the camera with me.

New Forest

Crabs are also very difficult to photograph. They are always skittering across moss covered rocks and battling each other for whatever it is crabs covet.

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Richard,

I hope you don't mind me sharing these with you but this post made me go back and have a look at a couple of images I took when in the New Forest.

New Forest

New Forest

Real Name
    Richard

I don't mind at all. Do those pictures have a lot of local contrast increase? They have a kind of stark surrealism about them.

Real Name
    Richard

I got a bit carried away after seeing the orange skied picture by Kaskais, so I thought I'd do something more creative. I'd love to know whether people thinks this works or looks rediculous. From the same layby:

Horse In Narrow Daylight:
    New Forest

Real Name
    Peter

I don't mind at all. Do those pictures have a lot of local contrast increase? They have a kind of stark surrealism about them.
    The first one no but the second I played with a double exposure because of the very poor light and have not got it right yet. It is not a great shot but more a memory.

I see potential in the horse shot but not sure if the light is quiet right. The main thing is to keep trying until you find the formula that works.

Real Name
    Peter

This is a very similar shot to number 2 but more in focus and better lighting. I still had to process it twice (once for the shadows and once for highlights) and blend in PS but it worked much better.

New Forest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast