Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't like Lightroom

Real Name
    Richard

I don't like Lightroom

I signed up for Photoshop CC and installed the Photoshop and the Adobe Bridge portions. However, I did not install Lightroom. Am I going to have problems with Creative Cloud because I did not opt to install Lightroom?

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: I don't like Lightroom

No.

Real Name
    Allan Short

No same answer as Mike's. Been using Photoshop CC for some time again no problems. Why would one need or want LR if you have Photoshop CC ,

Cheers: Allan

Real Name
    Dave

No. But if you have Lightroom, why on earth would you want Photoshop

Real Name
    Richard

Why would you want Photoshop?

Because it is different strokes for different folks... I am very happy with the library capabilities of Adobe Bridge and don't like how Lightroom will sort my images into what it decides is a plan. I know that it is an operator problem, but, why should I learn Lightroom when I am very happy with Photoshop and Bridge along with the (now free) NIK filters?
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 20th September 2016 at 08:14 PM.

Re: What happened here...?

One tip about using CC: You can use the CC software to open Photoshop or you can open Photoshop directly using your computer's operating system just as you open any other software program. I mention this because my experience is that the CC software quite often doesn't work and instead displays a message indicating that I should reinstall it. Rather than do so, I simply open Lightroom or Photoshop directly using the operating system. A few days later the message about CC has disappeared and the software is working just fine without me having done anything.

There are several options for selecting the best mode to suit your preferences and to adjust the size of those thumbnails in Bridge. I'm not sure without checking but I think I have my display set to show Lightbox Images. There is an option selector somewhere near the top and I think on the right side where you can change the view.

Several quirky Bridge settings need to be mastered but this should all make sense after a bit of thought; although when I accidentally change something I do have to think seriously for a few minutes until I get everything running as required. There are many handy features with Bridge; once you get used to it!

Incidentally, I downloaded Lightroom as it came with the package but I never use it. The Photoshop and Bridge do everything that I require and Bridge is so much easier. Maybe you can do a little more in the way of file management with Lightroom but it is so complicated and totally unnecessary for me.

I ignore the CC opening icon which is so complicated and just use a direct link to Photoshop placed on my Desktop using the Send To option; as Mike mentioned.
    Last edited by Geoff F; 20th September 2016 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    I ignore the CC opening icon which is so complicated and just use a direct link to Photoshop placed on my Desktop using the Send To option; as Mike mentioned.
    The one thing I like about using CC to open Photoshop or Lightroom is that it indicates whether a newer update is available. If you open the program directly from your Desktop, is a similar message displayed?

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    The one thing I like about using CC to open Photoshop or Lightroom is that it indicates whether a newer update is available. If you open the program directly from your Desktop, is a similar message displayed?
    On a Mac the launch icons are in the Dock alongside the other software I use and I have never ran one of the programmes from the CC App - however - I do get notifications telling me there are updates so I have the best of both worlds.

My working computer is not connected to the internet for security reasons. Except very briefly once every few months to get any Windows updates etc and it is never used for general internet activities, so I'm not worried about missing immediate updates for anything.

I have an old computer for internet use that can be formatted again if any issues ever develop. There is nothing of any value stored on this machine.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

I recently had to cancel a credit card due some unauthorized charges...problem was that it was
    linked to my internet account and my account was temporally discontinued. For two hours I
    went thru severe withdrawal symptoms...shakes/sweats/ the whole nine yards.

Was able to take a nap though.

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    my internet account...was temporally discontinued. For two hours I
    went thru severe withdrawal symptoms...
    Just to clarify things, you don't need the Internet to run Photoshop CC or Lightroom CC. You only need it to download the updates to your computer.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    My working computer is not connected to the internet for security reasons. Except very briefly once every few months to get any Windows updates etc and it is never used for general internet activities, so I'm not worried about missing immediate updates for anything.

I have an old computer for internet use that can be formatted again if any issues ever develop. There is nothing of any value stored on this machine.
    I have been seriously considering this option!

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Why would you want Photoshop?

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    ...why should I learn Lightroom when I am very happy with Photoshop and Bridge along with the (now free) NIK filters?
    If you're happy you shouldn't.

If you don't need the organizational features of LR then it is a poor choice for RAW conversion and editing. The only reason I converted to LR a couple of years ago was due to a need to process large volumes of images(3000-5000 at a time) quickly. But to-date I've not really utilized the cataloging features. I continued to use my previous filing system and built multiple LR catalogs to fit that system. Need has finally trumped laziness and I'm now in the process of restructuring and taking advantage of the LR organization functions. I'm only doing so because I have well over 50k images to organize. If I had 10k or less I certainly wouldn't spend the time to do so. There is a lot of up-front work to use LR effectively. If you don't need the features then it makes no sense at all to put in the work.

Real Name
    Dan

Lightroom won't sort your images. All of mine are in exactly the file structure I create in a file manager. However, it gives you the option to sort them in many ways, while leaving the underlying directory / catalog structure unchanged.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Lightroom won't sort your images. All of mine are in exactly the file structure I create in a file manager. However, it gives you the option to sort them in many ways, while leaving the underlying directory / catalog structure unchanged.
    It depends on how you do your imports. During import you can copy, move, or simply add images to the catalog without disturbing the existing locations. I believe the out of the box default setting is to import without disturbing the file structure. However if importing directly from a memory card then by definition LR has to create some folders to copy into.

In my experience, learning the nuances of how the catalog feature works is the most off-putting aspect of LR for new/prospective users.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

In my experience, learning the nuances of how the catalog feature works is the most off-putting aspect of LR for new/prospective users.
    Surely you're not suggesting that it is the user's responsibility to actually learn how to use that new software.

Real Name
    Mark

I use both - I import from card to my file structure - LR then imports when I tell it to and creates the library refs without moving anything - I do basic work in LR then export to PS do any more work if needed and then save back into LR - then if I want a print - I set that up and do any soft proofing and create a printer copy with the paper / printer profile, if i really like it i then save a print copy so any repeat prints are always the same - again the original image is not edited but a copy for that specific print profile, I find that easier as its how i taught myself via a book on image colour management and printing that featured LR as the print process - BUT - it is how you find it works best for you that is important and not how the software / book / others tells you it is the 'best' way to do it.

Real Name
    Dave

Well, Mark that's very close to how I work. But whenever I read someone saying they are starting out with Lightroom I plead with them to start by reading about how it's structured and how it works. Victoria Bampton's free ebook is an excellent resource.

Dave

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by marlunn View Post
    I use both - I import from card to my file structure - LR then imports when I tell it to and creates the library refs without moving anything...
    Up until recently I was doing the same. But one of the easiest ways to accidentally goof up the LR catalog is to muck around with files in the OS after you've imported them to LR. For my own pea brain I now avoid that possibility by ONLY using LR to download, move, or delete photos. But even with that discipline it is still possible to mix things up if you use multiple LR catalogs with some of the same photos in them. If you move them while in one catalog the other catalog loses them.

After many different file/folder/directory structures over the years, all with very logical reasoning behind them, I've finally decided to file all of my photos by date taken. No more moving things around based on topic, location, or whatever. And LR does the import very simply and easily for me without me even having to type in a folder name. I'm finally putting LR to work by using its catalog features to let me organize by any other criteria that may seem appealing without fiddling with directories, file names, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    ... whenever I read someone saying they are starting out with Lightroom I plead with them to start by reading about how it's structured and how it works...
    That approach is perfectly logical to me. That's also what kept me from using LR for several years. I never took the time to get comfortable enough that I understood what/how it was doing with my files. Necessity finally forced me to do so. But not everyone thinks/works like you and I. Many people could care less and frankly don't need to know how LR does imports, where the files are, etc. I've know and/or worked with many people who get by in life just fine by following procedures without the slightest clue as to why things are done a certain way. When something goes wrong for them help is just a phone call(to someone like us) away.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast