Thread: Educational Materials

Real Name
    Terry

Educational Materials

I’m going to acquire some reading material.

I can’t really do video with much consistency because I’m on a limited data usage air card exactly half of the time and video sucks it up. So I thought I’d do some reading, see where that leads, and put video education on a back burner for the moment.

Here is what I was thinking of possibly starting with.

Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS5 - Jeff Schewe

The Adobe Photoshop CS5 Book for Digital Photographers(Voices That Matter) - Scott Kelby

Photoshop CS5: The Missing Manual- Lesa Snider

Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Boxed Set, Volumes 1, 2, and 3 - Scott Kelby

Real World Color Management (2nd Edition) - Bruce Fraser

Of the two CS5 books, I would wonder if Kelby or Snider’s book would be better. Or if something else altogether would be better recommended. If I could maybe just start off with one of these and cut down a little on initial expense, I wouldn’t complain!

Would anyone have any opinions as to whether these might be a good start and/or any other recommendations?

Real Name
    Pat

Re: Educational Materials

Hi Terry
    I'm in the process myself of some book study,namely on Photoshop Elements 7. the book is one of The Missing Manual series by Barbara Brundage. I find it extremely good and well written with some nice humour thrown in. However I can't say if all The Missing Manuals are written in the same way, if they are i would recommend them. Oh yes the book is very well illustrated.
    Hope this helps Best Wishes,
    Pat

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    I’m going to acquire some reading material.

I can’t really do video with much consistency because I’m on a limited data usage air card exactly half of the time and video sucks it up. So I thought I’d do some reading, see where that leads, and put video education on a back burner for the moment.

Here is what I was thinking of possibly starting with.

Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS5 - Jeff Schewe

The Adobe Photoshop CS5 Book for Digital Photographers(Voices That Matter) - Scott Kelby

Photoshop CS5: The Missing Manual- Lesa Snider

Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Boxed Set, Volumes 1, 2, and 3 - Scott Kelby

Real World Color Management (2nd Edition) - Bruce Fraser

Of the two CS5 books, I would wonder if Kelby or Snider’s book would be better. Or if something else altogether would be better recommended. If I could maybe just start off with one of these and cut down a little on initial expense, I wouldn’t complain!

Would anyone have any opinions as to whether these might be a good start and/or any other recommendations?
    Don't count out DVDs.

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Don't count out DVDs.
    Thanks guys.

I have read some exerpts from The Missing Manual, Pat. Looks like even I could understand it.

John, I couldn't see what you had written until I "Replied With Quote". But you're right. I won't write off DVD's, but from what I've see so far, they are about 3-4 times more expensive than a good Olde Skool reading book!
    Last edited by Loose Canon; 7th September 2010 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Couldn't see last line of Shadowman's post

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Terry,

I've got all on your list except for "The Missing Manual", and really can't fault your selection.

If you had to start with just one, I'd make it the Digital Photography boxed set for the photography side, or alternatively the CS5 book for the processing side. Real World Camera RAW digs a lot deeper into using Adobe Camera RAW, and Real World Colour Management is just pure evil (but darn good ... although many need a side-order of headache pills to get through it).

PS: If you want to get them a bit cheaper and a lot faster, consider buying Kindle versions, and read them on your PC (or up to 5 devices in total) (I have them on my PC, iPhone, and iPad, and Daughter's Laptop).

Real Name
    John

Thanks guys.

I have read some exerpts from The Missing Manual, Pat. Looks like even I could understand it.

John, I couldn't see what you had written until I "Replied With Quote". But you're right. I won't write off DVD's, but from what I've see so far, they are about 3-4 times more expensive than a good Olde Skool reading book!
    See what is available at the library.

Real Name
    Richard

I have used Scott Kelby's books on both CS2 and CS3 For Photographers and really like them. However, I found another book on which I also like... "Photoshop CS-5: 100 Simplified Tips and Tricks" by Lynette Kent. I have used the Photoshop Elements version of this book and the way it is laid out really suits my way of learning. I have ordered the CS-5 version from Amazon and I am expecting it any day now.

http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-CS5-...956730&sr=1-27

IMO, virtually all of the manuals on Photoshop contain valuable information. What I want is a book which is laid out in a manner that agrees with my thought process and from which I personally can learn. The "CS-5: 100 Simplified Tips and Tricks" book presents information in a manner which my old brain can absorb. I like both the Kelby and the Scott books because: they are designed for photographers and not graphic artists and each presents post production parameters in short concise segments...

Real Name
    Terry

Thank you, Colin. I hadn’t really seriously considered Kindle versions of these books, although I have noticed they are cheaper. I’ll have to check on the file sizes and if they may be printable in case I want some hard copies of certain sections to have in my hand.

I checked the library first, John! Free. Free is good. And if it’s free, I don’t care if it’s a burnt match, I’ll take it! My library has some interesting looking stuff, but somewhat antiquated. Mostly what they have is a lot of photo books rather than reference books. Still, I spent about three hours there in one sitting with my granddaughters. It was the quietest 3 hours I have ever spent with them! I’m planning on going back! I’ll probably make a trip to our local Barnes/Noble and see what they might have on hand to browse through.

I’m with you, Richard. I like something that is informative, yet not so dry as it brings me to tears trying to slough through it. I’ll have a tendency to put it down and not really want to pick it up again. If you recommend it, then I’m putting it on the list to check out. I appreciate your and everybody’s input.

Real Name

Thank you, Colin. I hadn’t really seriously considered Kindle versions of these books, although I have noticed they are cheaper. I’ll have to check on the file sizes and if they may be printable in case I want some hard copies of certain sections to have in my hand.
    Hi Terry,

File sizes are generally pretty small (around 5mb typically), and no, they can't be printed (although you can take screen shots with both the iPad / iPhone, and PC for just the occasional thing (would be pretty labourious to do the whole book!). If you're feeling rich, do what I did and grab an iPad - it's absolutely unbelievably good for reading books on ... I won't be every buying another printed book ever again if it's available electronically.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 8th September 2010 at 10:54 PM.

Real Name
    John

I checked the library first, John! Free. Free is good. And if it’s free, I don’t care if it’s a burnt match, I’ll take it! My library has some interesting looking stuff, but somewhat antiquated. Mostly what they have is a lot of photo books rather than reference books. Still, I spent about three hours there in one sitting with my granddaughters. It was the quietest 3 hours I have ever spent with them! I’m planning on going back! I’ll probably make a trip to our local Barnes/Noble and see what they might have on hand to browse through.
    It took about 3 months after I purchased my Nikon D60 before the first copy of a field manual appeared. Now there are at least three, I know it takes awhile before an author will create one so I was patient. But there were numerous copies of field guides for the Nikon D40, which my camera's design was based on so I had something to work with while waiting, plus there were numerous books on exposure and aperture so I had additional material available. The one subject matter that my library and even most book stores seem to overlook are books on camera lenses. You'll find one or two sections in most photography books but rarely one book devoted entirely to the lens.

Real Name

The one subject matter that my library and even most book stores seem to overlook are books on camera lenses. You'll find one or two sections in most photography books but rarely one book devoted entirely to the lens.
    Canon have EOS Lenswork which is like an encyclopedia of all their current lenses. Very nice book, which also covers a lot of background info and technical stuff. Pity you're a Nikon shooter

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Canon have EOS Lenswork which is like an encyclopedia of all their current lenses. Very nice book, which also covers a lot of background info and technical stuff. Pity you're a Nikon shooter
    And I'll bet the only way you can get your hands on a copy is that you have to know a guy who knows a guy and there's a secret password...

Real Name

And I'll bet the only way you can get your hands on a copy is that you have to know a guy who knows a guy and there's a secret password...
    Or just buy it from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Lens-Work-III-...005675&sr=8-10

(although this is the 2008 version - apparently there's a 2009 version, and I'm guessing that the 2010 version isn't too far away)