Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Getting a photograph printed

Real Name
    Peter Mott

Getting a photograph printed

I want to have a photograph printed at a local print shop. I have Photoshop CS3. So how does one prepare a photograph to be printed? I'm completely ignorant of this - well 99.9% ignorant. I do know that the image will be printed on a laser printer at A3 size. Any pointers much appreciated (is there a book?)

-- Peter

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Getting a photograph printed

Hi Peter,

It's pretty easy ...

1. Make sure the image is set to sRGB colourspace. Click on Edit -> CONVERT TO PROFILE, and make sure that the destination colourspace is set to sRGB; click OK

2. Make sure the image is set to 8 Bit. Click on IMAGE -> MODE -> 8 BIT

3. Make sure the image is set to the correct size. Click on Image, Image Size; make sure re-sample image is unticked, and set the dimensions to the size you want (note that a conventional DSLR shot is a 1:1.5 aspect ratio, and an A4 print isn't ... so you'll end up with a bit of white paper that you'll need to cut off when printed.

4. Save as a JPEG, maximum quality.

When you get it printed, ask for help at the time to ensure that it looks OK prior to printing, with regards to brightness, colour, and size.

Hope this helps

In all honesty, my experience is that "local shop printing" is pretty much a 50/50 lottery in that they don't understand colour management, and often aren't profiled to accepted standards, so sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Do you feel lucky today?

Real Name
    Steve

It is a good idea to make your print A3 proportions before you send it to be printed; some printers have an automatic crop. Also some make corrections to white balance others don't. I had a 20 x30 done and it was deliberately blue but the printers did it a bit yellow which was right actually, I just wanted it a bit blue.

If you plan to have it framed it might be a good idea to put a border around it, and you should be alright. If you have a printer, it is good fun to make a test print to see if it needs to be a little brighter, but this is expensive on ink and paper, I've just run out again.

Make sure it's sharp enough.

Leave a 3mm border around the edge to allow for it being attached to a mount without losing any of the shot (if you intend to mount and frame it).

I used Photobox before I got my Epson printer and I never had any problems with the colours - or anything else.

Real Name
    Peter Mott

Thanks people that's really helpful.

-- Peter