Thread: Love the Hindu Temple -- Hate the Greenery

Real Name
    Marc Whittemore

Love the Hindu Temple -- Hate the Greenery

Just thought I'd throw up today's HDR attempt for critique and some feedback. Love the way the HDR process brought so much more detail in the Hindu Temple itself... but then notice the palms and shrubs inthe foreground... yuk. the original looks way mo betta. How can I have both? Or is it a matter then of merging (masking copying pasting) the parts I like of the one picture into the other?

ORIGINAL:

HDR'd:

Re: Love the Hindu Temple -- Hate the Greenery

Quote Originally Posted by AWorkOfMarc View Post
    Just thought I'd throw up today's HDR attempt for critique and some feedback. Love the way the HDR process brought so much more detail in the Hindu Temple itself... but then notice the palms and shrubs inthe foreground... yuk. the original looks way mo betta. How can I have both? Or is it a matter then of merging (masking copying pasting) the parts I like of the one picture into the other?
    How would you like this.

Hi Marc

I'm only trying to be helpful here. I think you need to step back a bit and consider this shot. It's an interesting building, and makes a nice shot, but there are several problems.

The lean on the buildings, particularly the foreground one, makes viewing difficult. I edited the shot and used edit\transform to pull the perpendiculars into line. That palm tree on the right looks disconnected, so I selected it and used delete\content-aware-fill (CS5) to replace it with sky. The main temple tower would look better on an intersection of third lines, so I cropped some off the right. I also cropped some off the top of the sky as it adds nothing to the shot (we want to see the building). It also needed quite a bit of sharpening. I edited the original, and to be quite honest, I can't see the benefit here of HDR. But no doubt someone will disagree with that.

Real Name
    Marc Whittemore

Whoa.. niiiicccceeeee.. I like the cropped sky and I love the buildings straightened... makes all the difference in the world. On the other hand (to my subjective eye) it seemed a tad over sharpened. Loved getting both your feedback! Thank you VERY much!

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    Hi Marc

I'm only trying to be helpful here. I think you need to step back a bit and consider this shot. It's an interesting building, and makes a nice shot, but there are several problems.

The lean on the buildings, particularly the foreground one, makes viewing difficult. I edited the shot and used edit\transform to pull the perpendiculars into line. That palm tree on the right looks disconnected, so I selected it and used delete\content-aware-fill (CS5) to replace it with sky. The main temple tower would look better on an intersection of third lines, so I cropped some off the right. I also cropped some off the top of the sky as it adds nothing to the shot (we want to see the building). It also needed quite a bit of sharpening. I edited the original, and to be quite honest, I can't see the benefit here of HDR. But no doubt someone will disagree with that.

Real Name
    Marc Whittemore

and I just noticed the missing palm tree --GOOD EYE DOOD! Looks much better without it! thank you for helping me develop a better eye for detail!

Quote Originally Posted by AWorkOfMarc View Post
    and I just noticed the missing palm tree --GOOD EYE DOOD! Looks much better without it! thank you for helping me develop a better eye for detail!

All part of the Moderator service.

PM me you American Express details.