Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just for my curiosity

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Just for my curiosity

Tell me what genre of photography do you have hanging in your living room?

Real Name
    Paul David

re: Just for my curiosity

I have a photograph of the Aurora Borealis taken by Jim Brandenburg. It was part of his series, Chased by the Light where he took one photo per day for 90 days. I met him in 1998 at a fair in Ely, Minnesota. He signed the photograph and added some other information. A very nice guy.

In my study is a photograph by Jay Steinke of Duluth, Minnesota called Fogged In.

I will be taking these to my Sheridan, Wyoming house as soon as I sell the Minnesota house.

Real Name
    Dan

You first

Real Name
    Robin

We only have one photograph on our living room walls, its one of mine and its a close up of a flower. The rest of the walls are hung with artworks that my wife and I have bought over the years, either original watercolours/oils or limited edition prints.

Now our dining room has a more equal mix. We have four of my landscapes up and four pieces of art, one of which is a rather large, colour engraving that is about a hundred years old.

Our hallway has portraits (taken by me) of our boys and up the stairs and landing are a dozen or so of my landscapes all of which are monochrome. The rest of the house has a smattering of prints and the odd original piece of art - with one fairly small wedding photo of my wife and I, the only time I appear anywhere as I rarely if ever appear in front of a camera

Real Name
    wm c boyer

It's my bad that we have not a single piece of work on our walls.

Real Name
    Dave

I have a few wildlife and a couple of landscapes (all mine). In the living and dining room they have to compete with my wife's excellent tapestries.

We also have a few prints, including three limited edition prints by David Shepherd. As well as liking his work, a few years ago we spent some days safari with David so they bring back memories too. He's a fascinating man.

Around the house we also have a few originals that we have collected at home and abroad.

Dave

Real Name
    Grant

I have just one photo in my living room. It is a picture of a tropical flower called Torch Ginger, taken by myself at night and illuminated with, you guessed it, a torch. Elsewhere I have several of my landscapes on my office/studio but most other wall space in our house is filled up with my wife's huge silk paintings. They are actually pretty amazing so I can't begrudge her the use of available wall space.
    Grant

Real Name
    John

Nothing hanging, I have two street photos that are viewable though. I have one that is leaning against the floor board and one that is on an artist's easel.

Real Name
    Jean

We have pictures and paintings (all "home made"), paintings from my wife and I and my pictures (2 1.20 x 0.80 m canvas, as already mentionned in my thread "My vision of NYC" + many A4 and A3+ format).

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Over on the right of the first picture below, you can see some of my own prints. That wall has 13/14 of those on it. You can also see in this picture, 3 pieces of sculptured willow that I commissioned from the wonderful Lizzie Farey (http://www.lizziefarey.co.uk/Latest/latest.htm).

What you can't see in this picture are the 4 paintings that I have bought from Sharon Black (https://www.facebook.com/SharonBlack...SEARCH&fref=nf). The one of these that is in my living room is the second picture below. The other 3 are elsewhere in the house.

Just for my curiosity

Just for my curiosity

Real Name
    Dan

If you mean photos of my own, we have mostly macros of flowers handing on our walls. My wife is not enthusiastic about hanging macros of bugs, so I have a few of those hanging in my office. We also have a handful of others, including these:

Just for my curiosity

Just for my curiosity

We have this one printed waiting to hang but haven't figure out what would go well with it on that wall:

Just for my curiosity

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Living room and dining room: street photography, landscape, cityscape and portrait (all in monochrome) dating from 1835 to a couple years ago

Bedroom: color street photography and florals; monochrome portraits. All made this century.

Sunroom: color landscapes and architecture made this century

Home office: mix of various types of documentary photography and a street scene. All monochromes made from about 1925 - 1955

Real Name
    Paul David

I had to put some of my photographs in storage as I am trying to sell this house. Wedding pictures, graduation pictures, etc., nothing personal on display. I even took down some western art (Russell Chatham Lithographs and some photos of the Tetons) and other assorted stuff. That is going to Wyoming.
    Last edited by LePetomane; 4th September 2016 at 05:14 PM.

Real Name
    Dan

Everything hanging on our walls, whether my photography or otherwise, represents memories. Thankfully we ran out of space many years ago and sometimes have to make tough decisions of what stays and what goes

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

In the living room I have a photo of yellow lichen on granite rock bought 27 years ago from a local photographer whose work my wife and I admired, a three feet by four foot image of aspen leaves in a puddle, by me, my wife insisted on having enlarged and a collection of five images, mine again, my daughter had made for a Xmas present. In the bedroom I have a two foot by three foot image of the local grain elevator and train station (local landmarks) at sunrise.

My wife as allowed me space on one wall of the living room, in front of my desk, for pictures of my choosing. I have 5 small prints of photos I've taken of cars and there is one larger print of a water colorized picture of a picture I took, done by a friend of mine. The rest of the room has paintings, some done by her sister, and a needle point she did to declare our establishment of a home when we got married. The rest of the house is populated with hanging quilts for the most part.

My living room walls are about the same shade of yellow as Donald's.

Real Name
    John

I have a photograph of my daughter reflected in the head of a pilot whale she was photographing!

My apartment in Canada is sadly going to be put up for sale when I return next year. Knowing that I did not put anything on the walls, but I do have a 60" TV that runs a rolling display (when I am so inclined) of around 300 images that remind me of people or places I want to remember. Back in New Zealand, we rent a tiny apartment that has a couple of my landscape images - one from NZ and one from Canada - not necessarily because they are works of art, but because they have good memories attached...

Just for my curiosity
    Moraine Lake, Banff NP, AB, Canada

Just for my curiosity
    Rangitoto Island, Auckland, NZ

One day I hope to have more walls to put images on!

Real Name
    Richard

I'll bet no one could guess...

Surprise! I have images of dogs hanging throughout my home Photographs, paintings and line drawings are all represented...

I do have one section of my walls devoted to our daughter's wedding. Of course, the honored guests at that weding were their three (at the time - now it is five) dogs

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    Tell me what genre of photography do you have hanging in your living room?
    Old monochrome prints of early 1900's shots - three 8x10" reproductions bought at the local charity store.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast