Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: An interesting and educational article

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

An interesting and educational article

For the nature/landscape lovers hereabouts, this from the Nature Photographers website is, I think, well worth a read. It's an interview with William Neill. Not long. But it gives a wonderful insight into what I think photography is about.

EDIT - Sorry for the typo in the thread title. I've asked a very,very nice Mod to correct it
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 2nd September 2010 at 07:20 PM.

Real Name
    David

Re: An interesting and educational article

Nice find, Donald. Well worth the read. I think the bit about focussing in on a part of the subject and not being swayed by the big picture hits the spot; then allowing that area to "distil" into the final work, with emotional overtones. It's the ability of people like William Neill to be able to see these things, the photographer's eye, that I have great difficulty in emulating.

Cheers

David

Real Name
    Richard

Depressing thought that even for him only 1 in 10 things that excite him actually work.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    EDIT - Sorry for the typo in the thread title. I've asked a very,very nice Mod to correct it
    And his name is Dave Humphries. Sorry, Donald, I only just got your PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    And his name is Dave Humphries. Sorry, Donald, I only just got your PM.
    Nah, I'm the stoooopid one.

Anyways; by the time I got to it Donald had already done it, but for some reason, it won't fix what appears in the forum view and Latest Threads

I'm sure that used to be possible, I did it last week to one of my threads, but today, I can't find Advanced Edit (which I know I don't need (or do I?))

Real Name
    Peter

Great article Donald.

The thrust of this article covers my approach to photography - not that I achieve it but I prefer to capture the essence of a scene rather than the whole vista. I find I cannot go to a location and just take good shots. I have to be there for a while, take shots and start to feel the place. It is one limitation when you are travelling and just visiting for a short time.

I have never put it into words but I agree with his comment: -

“Although there may be many special aspects of a wide view, too much information dilutes their impact. It is the isolated details and nuances to which I most often strongly respond. That emotional response is always there when I make the image, but it is fairly rare to have it translate in the final photograph. So many factors need to come together for the magic to happen, both technically and creatively. For every ten or twenty subjects that thrill me in the field, only one or two might work artistically.”