Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help - soft focus with Canon 7D and 7D II

Real Name
    John

Re: Help - soft focus with Canon 7D and 7D II

I have been playing with a Canon camera with for me their latest AF facilities and have noticed some oddities just through the viewfinder. They may be down to using a Sigma lens along with a teleconverter but not sure yet.

One setting I have used to test for lack of focus is to set the 1st focus priority option so that the camera wont take a shot unless it reckons it's in focus. This proved for me that for some reason the camera itself was refusing to focus at times. The OP could try setting this and taking a number of test shots. If the camera takes the shot then focus should be ok plus nothing wrong with the shots.

AF can be out. Unlikely but it can happen. It's pretty easy to test for AF accuracy using these instructions.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/a...djustment.html

Notice the word ideally relating to test distances if that is a problem. Live view will always focus correctly so the final check involves comparing shots taken with normal AF with these. Even the preview screen on the camera will give a rough idea of accuracy.

In my case the next check is have Canon done a firmware upgrade on the camera as the behaviour does seem a little odd.

John
    -

Quote Originally Posted by ajohnw View Post
    I have been playing with a Canon camera with for me their latest AF facilities and have noticed some oddities just through the viewfinder. They may be down to using a Sigma lens along with a teleconverter but not sure yet.

One setting I have used to test for lack of focus is to set the 1st focus priority option so that the camera wont take a shot unless it reckons it's in focus. This proved for me that for some reason the camera itself was refusing to focus at times. The OP could try setting this and taking a number of test shots. If the camera takes the shot then focus should be ok plus nothing wrong with the shots.

AF can be out. Unlikely but it can happen. It's pretty easy to test for AF accuracy using these instructions.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/a...djustment.html

Notice the word ideally relating to test distances if that is a problem. Live view will always focus correctly so the final check involves comparing shots taken with normal AF with these. Even the preview screen on the camera will give a rough idea of accuracy.

In my case the next check is have Canon done a firmware upgrade on the camera as the behaviour does seem a little odd.

John
    -
    You might try resetting the flashes to the default mode and make sure the camera is not set to second curtain sync.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Woodrich View Post
    You might try resetting the flashes to the default mode and make sure the camera is not set to second curtain sync.
    You can see what my conclusions are on my particular problem in this thread. 1si focus priority effectively prevents the camera from taking a shot unless it thinks it's in focus. Nothing to do with 2nd curtain and flash and I suspect that the 80D may not have that anyway.

Odd problem with AF using a sigma 150mm macro on a Canon 80D

80D focusing problems.

John
    -

Real Name
    Grahame

Welcome back John,

Completely off topic, (and not related to specific problems in this thread) I was watching a video the other day on 'focus problems' where a dirty AF sensor was mentioned as a possible affect.

I suppose when you think about it with the fluff, spots etc we clean from our main sensors this same debris can be sat on the AF sensor and could have some affect. Dirt on the mirror was also mentioned.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

I have been playing with a Canon camera with for me their latest AF facilities and have noticed some oddities just through the viewfinder. They may be down to using a Sigma lens along with a teleconverter but not sure yet. . .
    Yes. I think in your situation that it is more likely an issue with the Sigma lens compatibility (not necessarily the converter per se), rather than the AF functionality of the EOS80D.

I have responded on the other thread in more detail.

. . . I suspect that the 80D may not have that [Second Curtain Flash Synchronization] anyway.
    It does. All current EOS XXD models from the EOS 10D, do.

(As do the EOS 7D and EOS 7DMkII, the two cameras to which the OP refers.)

Apropos the OP's problem: as already requested, awaiting sample images with EXIF data, please?

WW

Real Name
    Richard

This is just a pretty wild guess... The previous, "sharp." images were shot at a higher shutter speed than the "less sharp" images. 1/200-1/250 second rather than the 1/60 second with the new flash.

Perhaps camera shake might have been the problem...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12