Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Monitor upgrade for photography

Real Name
    David

Monitor upgrade for photography

I'm thinking of updating my main monitor, currently a Viewsonic VP2030b, 20" diagonal. I've noted two possibilities as replacement: an Eizo flexscan EV2333W (23" diagonal) and a Dell U2410 (24" diagonal). Both come with high specs, but the Dell is an IPS(?) system and the Eizo is an MVA(?) system. Has anyone got expertise or advice on this topic or any better recommendations? Although I've trawled round some local outlets in the area (Manchester UK), I've seen neither of these "in the flesh". Does anyone know of anywhere in the UK where I could actually see monitors in action?

Cheers

David

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Monitors

Hi David,

I think you may have to travel and even then, the chances of them being in suitable viewing conditions is remote. OK, to be fair, I am imagining a tightly packed shop in Edgware Road in London with nasty fluorescent lights and climbing over cardboard boxes - it is some years since I last went there though.

Just been through the same pain and settled on Viewsonic VP2365wb, which is doing fine.
    I couldn't find any near me in 'the chains', so I had to read a lot of reviews (both technical for spec. and amazon buyer style for satisfaction) and hope for the best. I'm not disappointed.

I was moving from a 15" laptop screen and the extra size is great, you may need to go for 24" to see a difference from 20". I think that Dell was on my short list.

Cheers,

I am pretty much a Viewsonic fan myself, so I won't be of much help.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

David

What's making you think of going away from Viewsonic? Is it a Viewsonic 'problem' or just the desire to move up in terms of spec?

Real Name
    David

Hi Guys - Thanks for the feedback. The principal reasons for moving are size and visual clarity. This monitor has been good, but it's about 3 years old, and technology has moved on. It is not an "IPS" if that's the correct abbreviation, and I understand IPS gives more vivid renderings and has a wider perceived gamut. Dave's comment re the Viewsonic 2365wb is very helpful. I've checked out some reviews on this http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/ and it looks good value. However, early days, bank balance to be checked, priorities to be re-assessed (5D mark2???? or 7D???? or new lens????), holidays to be planned, service on car..... Ugh!!

Cheers

David
    Last edited by David; 30th August 2010 at 06:21 PM. Reason: url not loading