Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Empty nest

Real Name
    Pops

Empty nest

Well, the porchlight tenants started flying this morning. I thought one was out and about yesterday, but couldn't tell for sure. Today the nest was empty all day, until they came back in the late afternoon.

I've been trying to get some good pictures of them in the nest, but up against the eves and using the porchlight as a support doesn't lend itself to good pictures. I'll try over the next day or two to get some of them on the wing.

They will continue to use the nest as a night roost for another week to 10 days and then they will be gone. Then I can clean things up and move the nest over to the nesting boxes I installed. Maybe we can get some good ones when they return next year. Barn Swallows are so hard to shoot on the wing. Something about dark coloured birds, dusk time flights and very swift flight patterns don't seem to fit with my old-timer reflexes.

Pops

Real Name
    Pat

Re: Empty nest

Hi Pops,I'd be interested to find out what the differences are between your Swallows and our African-European lads.Our birds can often return to the same nest site and use last years nest,after a bit of house cleaning. Trying to shoot them in flight is indeed a difficult task, for me at any rate. Our lads hunt during the day as well as dusk which should make it a bit easier to get flight shots. But for the present I'm moving house and my time is caught up with jobs that have to be done before I can settle in my next abode.
    Best Wishes,
    Pat

Real Name
    Pops

Our barn swallows will return to last year's nest and reuse it. That is why I will move this nest over 2 feet to the nesting platform I installed and hope I can keep them off the porchlight next year.

The young will return to the same building and build their own nest near the old one. The flock here has increased enough that we got our first nesting pair this year. They lost the first clutch of 3, but the second clutch of 4 came through just fine.

The US barn swallow is not unique to North America, but is the most widespread of all swallows in the world. They are fun to watch and very helpful in keeping the nasty bugs in check.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barn_Swallow

Pops

Real Name
    Pat

Hi Pops, I would imagine with just 2 feet involved that they will hopefully use the nesting platform.Glad to hear that the second clutch got on fine. Alas the mortality rate with late clutch'es during migration can be high.Yes they are fun to watch and can be very chirpy,the platform will,all going well give you the chance to get nest shots next year.
    All The Best Pat.