Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Mother Mountain

Mother Mountain

C&C welcome, things I notice the most is a little over sharpened but only noticed when finished as last lot of sharp put on was before the downsize (from stitched images not cropped single image) and I zoomed out a bit too far to gauge amount to keep clear.

There is a light dusting of snow that looks a bit like artifacts whic his what makes the oversharpening very obvious. Also not so keen on the proportions after cropping (rectilinear stitch) as moved horizon and cut bits I wanted but guess no way around that (or is there? I saved enough sky courtesy of liquify brush).

Also the bit of wall in the centre bottom might benefit from cloning out. Exif that applies to source images collectively should be intact (camera model, aperature, exp, iso, software, etc but not time and image number so on).

For those who wonder where it is a large hill in Wales called Moel Famu (my Welsh friends shout at me it's pronounced Mel-vam-eye each time I say it phoenetically ). The name translates as mother hill although people soemtimes say mothers mountain it isn't a mountain.

Mother Mountain

Real Name
    Tommy

Re: Mother Mountain

It's morelike "Moyle Vam-Eye"

I was brought up not far from where this shot was taken! In fact you can almost see my house on it!

Good work!

Real Name
    Steve

I like it; it is too acutance sharpened and maybe RL sharpening is better. Anyway get Topaz detail and play with the light a bit cos it is really brilliant photo. Cos is pronounced cos and it ain't even english nor welsh either. sorry couldn't help that.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Davey,

By-the-by, glad to see you back again

First thought was, as you say, oversharpened when looking at the 700px reduction in the thread, but you'd acknowledged that already.
    Then I clicked and saw it in Lytebox, it still looked (quite horribly) oversharpened.

Then I opened it in a new tab, did an 'F11' and ... WHOA man, it's huge (3,570px × 1,024px to be precise)
    It looks amazing on my 23" 1920 x 1080 and I still have to scroll it across in two parts , but the detail is great because of that!

OK, as you say it is still oversharpened, but it's not too bad when you see it properly at 1:1.

Great capture and stitch.

Real Name
    Steve

Cor, going on about size. 3.5 thousand is huge, wow all of mine are bigger than that and I got an 18 thousand pixel wide pic. This is not huge and not very big even in a new window.

I had a look but can't reverse sharpen, it is definitely too sharp but more is needed than the simple acutance stuff to make this a great image.

thanks for the replies, I guess I will work on the sharpness again. It is a pano made from about 4 or 5 images hence the size (5mp images camera in portrait orientation). I'll also work on my pronunciation too hehehe so that's why my friends still shout at me "nooooo" when I try and say it properly for once. Anyway the main one who corrects me informs me he isn't really considered Welsh as was born in Cardif. I don't really get the joke but he assured me Welsh people do who laugh when he says it when they say inquisitively "Ahhh, you're Welsh?".

I have the original so think I will re-sharpen as too far to undo it from final which I don't like doing anyway if have the source images. I had another better interesting lighting one but accidentally deleted middle shot of 5 image span and the cloud that made the great light never came back. Lastly nice to be able to post/learn etc from here again, it's been one of those years