Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Something from Japan

Real Name
    Kevin

Something from Japan

This is the first picture I've posted on here, I thought I'd get some feedback on it. It was taken on a Shinkansen ride from Kyoto to Osaka about a month ago. I spotted this businessman reading some manga during the ride and managed to capture one of my favourite pictures to date. While he wasn't going anywhere and I had a reasonable amount of time to set up the shot, it was still relatively spur of the moment. I got three pictures, and this one turned out to be the best with the love scene framed perfectly by his arm.

It's not the sharpest thanks to the moving train--my new Leica would have taken care of that, if I'd had it at the time--but I think the subject matter outweighs technical considerations.

Something from Japan

Real Name
    David

Re: Something from Japan

Kevin - There's a famous film from my boyhood called "Love in the Afternoon" (Billy Wider, 1957). The film has nothing whatsoever to do with Manga, but the title just seems appropriate.

Cheers

David

Real Name
    Kevin

I agree! I quite like that!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Kevin
    The thing that I keep looking at is the back of the seat in front of the guy. It does complement that curve of the seat back in the immediate foreground, but....! Taking it out would necessitate a crop at the bottom to keep the aspect ratio. It's one of these 'I wonder what if ...' situations.

But overall this is a good one. I love the mystery in the story that it tells.

Real Name
    Kevin

Hmm, something like this, Donald? I see what you're getting at, I wasn't sure if the two seat curves complimented each other or if the front one was just getting in the way. I think I like your idea better, looking at the two of them.

Something from Japan

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Brilliant. Love it.

Real Name
    Pops

It's not the sharpest thanks to the moving train--my new Leica would have taken care of that, if I'd had it at the time--but I think the subject matter outweighs technical considerations.
    My first mentor in things photographic used to pound on me the difference between photograph and picture. One saying he was fond of was "Poor photograph, great picture."

This one fits that saying (although the photograph isn't really that poor.)

Pops

Real Name
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by PopsPhotos View Post
    My first mentor in things photographic used to pound on me the difference between photograph and picture. One saying he was fond of was "Poor photograph, great picture."

This one fits that saying (although the photograph isn't really that poor.)

Pops
    That sounds like a very useful saying indeed. Thank you for the comment, Pops!