Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: sharpening scripts for photoshop cs5

Real Name
    James Bechdel

sharpening scripts for photoshop cs5

Anyone have any sharpening scripts for PS CS5?
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 28th August 2010 at 01:15 PM. Reason: removed e-mail link

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: sharpening scrpts

Hi offtheroad,

I'm afraid I can't personally help as I don't have CS5, others may in due course.

I took the liberty of removing your e-mail link from the post as that isn't how we normally operate at CiC.
    1) You may get increased spam from posting a link in the clear like that, and
    2) If there are any scripts offered, it is fairer to offer them to everyone, here in the thread.

That said, if you have the correct options set in your profile, subscribe to the thread, and are still using the same e-mail address as when you registered for CiC back in July, you should get an e-mail advising when people reply to this thread.

You can always ask for a PM/e-mail too.

Hope you don't mind (and that what I said works).

Have you read the Sharpening tutorials?
    If you follow one of those with a sample picture, can't you 'record' a script for yourself? Sorry, I'm not familiar with CS5 to know if that's the correct terminology.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Rick

Hi, James.

I use CS5, and Dave's correct about recording an action: have you done this? If you open the actions panel, click the "create a new action" button (at the bottom), then click the record button. Once you do the sharpening you want, click the stop button.

I recorded a script for capture sharpening (see the tutorial), but I really don't use it. It's close to as many keystrokes to open the actions panel and play the action as it is to open up Unsharp Mask (USM). Plus, I fine-tune the parameters sometimes.

Remember that you'll have to make sure you have the main layer active before you play the action, if you don't do it immediately upon opening the image.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

I just use a couple of actions assigned to buttons - one for capture sharpening (USM of 300% @ 0.3 pixel) and a common one I use for portraiture (USM of 40% @ 4 pixels) - other than that there's too much variation to be able to automate anything - and - plugging in a couple of values isn't exactly hard work anyway.

Hi James

I have a high-pass sharpen action in my Actions file, which you can download from here... Robs Photoshop Actions There are other actions in there too. I keep meaning to add some more. I see that 210 people have downloaded it, which is rather surprising. Let me know if you have any probs (instructions are in the thread). High pass works better on a whole shot as it only sharpens detailed areas - so it reduces the effect on clouds etc, which you don't really want to sharpen.