Thread: Article on computer screens for post processing work

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Article on computer screens for post processing work

F-stoppers has just put out a very good page on what to look for in a computer screen for retouching / editing work. It is definitely worth a read as it covers a lot of the questions that pop up at CiC from time to time.

https://fstoppers.com/originals/intr...tomated_Notice

Real Name
    John

Re: Article on computer screens for post processing work

Nice article.

Real Name
    Bill

Useful but a bit dogmatic (if we go by what CiC tutorials have to say on the matter https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tu...obeRGB1998.htm) regarding sRGB and Adobe colour spaces.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by billtils View Post
    Useful but a bit dogmatic (if we go by what CiC tutorials have to say on the matter https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tu...obeRGB1998.htm) regarding sRGB and Adobe colour spaces.
    Bill - I have a dual display system, one screen is a standards sRGB and the other is AdobeRGB, so I can see the images I am working on in either. The differences are subtle for many of the images, but in landscape work or when working with very intense colours like night shots with busy signs, the differences are quite apparent. I would agree with the Fstoppers view and I do recommend using the wider gamut screens when people ask me.

The other issue is that I feel there is a bit of a misleading issue with the commentary on the commercial printers. Most of these companies convert everything to sRGB when printing, so the benefits of the wider AdobeRGB colour space is not apparent unless you have your own colour photo printer or go to a lab that supports a wider colour space. My own testing on my Epson 3880 does show up these differences in the final print. In fact the 8, 10 or 12 ink printers EXCEED the AdobeRGB spec.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 7th July 2016 at 01:02 PM.

Real Name
    Bill

Thanks Manfred - that is most helpful (nothing beats feedback from proficient real-life users!).