Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Lake Tahoe Twilight

Real Name
    Dave

Lake Tahoe Twilight

I got my new Singh-Ray filters a few weeks ago before a vacation to Lake Tahoe, so decided to try some long exposures. Here's the shot I got:

Lake Tahoe Twilight
    Lake Tahoe Twilight by Dave Michaud

I used the circular Variable-ND filter, set at about 8 stops, to smooth out the water and give it that silky look. And I hand-held a 3 stop reverse ND grad to hold back the sky and reveal more of the granite boulders.

Canon 50D, EF-S 17-55 mm @ 17 mm, I ended up with a very small crop due to some vignetting from the Vari-ND (it's a pretty thick filter).
    ISO 200, f8, 25 seconds. I wanted to keep the exposure at less than 30 seconds, so changed the ISO from 100 to 200 as it got darker. After the shoot I realized I could have just turned down the Variable-ND from 8 stops to 7 stops (that's what it's for!) and kept ISO 100, but I didn't think of that in the field, first time using this filter.

I would appreciate any feedback on PP. Perhaps it could use a bit of a vignette?

By the way, my tripod and I were in 2 feet of water to get this comp. This is at Sand Harbor on the east shore of Lake Tahoe (Nevada side).

Thanks,
    Dave

Re: Lake Tahoe Twilight

By the way, my tripod and I were in 2 feet of water to get this comp
    Dave

I can see some cud chewing with Colin taking place here. Colin likes to get physically intimate with his images

Well you threaten a HDR dosed cityscape and then offer a spliff full of fluffy water. Any way putting my petty prejudices aside. I do like this shot. It is very subtle. The necessity for cropping has put the thirds rule out but to be honest I do not think it matters here. Excellent work

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by dmichaud View Post
    By the way, my tripod and I were in 2 feet of water to get this comp.
    Well, we only let landscape photographers stay members here if they can produce their school swimming certificate...

Lush shot. I really like the composition and colours. I think perhaps a little off the bottom to put the horizon lower, but not much. It needs those lights on the far shore taking out I think. Or are they 'lost pixels'?

With shots like that, and your swimming certificate you can stay a member...

Real Name
    Steve

Cor, real photography. I like it.

Real Name
    Wendy

You've got my vote, very nice. Thanks for including your settings, I don't know if the Cokin filters I have orderd are of the same type or quality, but I'd love to be able to do something like this.

Wendy

Real Name
    Steve

Cokin filters are are a lot cheaper Wendy; but I haven't heard any complaints.

Real Name
    Dave

Thanks for the feedback folks, much appreciated! I do like this shot.

@Rob, I think you may be right about a small crop on the bottom, I'll give it a try. The lights in the distant hills are from houses on the opposite shore which I think add to the image.

I'm really enjoying these filters so far.

Real Name
    John

It's like a pastel sketch mixed with a charcoal one.

Real Name
    Dave

For some reason my original flickr reference doesn't work anymore, here's the image again:

Lake Tahoe TwilightLake Tahoe Twilight by Dave Michaud

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

This is simply beautiful, Dave. The softness of the water against the hard forms of the rocks is just magic along with the overall colour tones. I admire people who can use those filters to such beautiful effect, as I have them but haven't yet managed to produce a decent shot with them.
    Can I have a slight niggle? The waterline slopes just a little. It's not much, but I'm picky about level horizons and getting it dead level would top it off beautifully.

Real Name
    Dave

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't quite notice, but I think you're right, it slopes down a bit going right. Funny how you don't notice these things until someone points it out, much appreciated!

Dave