Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Carrying two or more cameras...

Real Name
    Richard

Carrying two or more cameras...

I did a mini-review of the Optech Dual Harness for Amazon.com and thought I would share it with the Cambridge in Colour members. I have been using the Dual Harness for several months now and really like it.

I almost always shoot with a pair of cameras because I can have a very wide focal range at my instant disposal with a fast f/stop in my mid-range zoom (17-55mm f/2.8 IS), excellent IQ throughout the range (from 17-55mm f/2.8 IS to 70-200mm f/4L IS) and very fast and accurate autofocus. IMO, the two camera system is far superior to using a wide focal range lens such as 18-200mm with its inherrent slower aperture, slower and less accurate auto-focus and lower image quality.

The only problem with using two cameras is how to efficiently carry these two rigs and, of course, the extra weight this system involves.

I made the transition from using a pair of Canon OEM straps (which tangled too much) to the OPTECH Reporter Strap. The Reporter Strap kept the two cameras when used without flashes from tangling but, had two issues about which I am not fond:

1. The weight of the two cameras was around my neck and when working with relatively heavy lenses caused my neck to ache after a long day of shooting. This was the primary downside of the Reporter Strap.

2. I had problems when using a flash on each camera (especially when using bounce mode with a Joe Demb Flash Diffuser Pro attached). The problem was that the lower camera's reflector would frequently tangle with the upper camera.

The Dual Harness solves both of these problems. ( http://optechusa.com/product/detail/...&CATEGORY_ID=4 )

1. It distributes the weight of the two camera/lens/flash packages across my shoulders which relieves the pressure on my neck. I am no longer sore at the end of a long day carrying two cameras. This is probably the greatest benefit to using the Dual harness! The straps are also wide enough that they do not cut into my shoulders when carrying a relatively heavy rig.

2. I can carry each camera equipped with a flash and the reflector / diffuser will not tangle. The way the straps are arranged, it is easy to shoot with either camera. I tend to use the straps slightly shorter than the way they are illustrated on the Optech site. It is still quite easy to shoot with the cameras when the rig is a bit shorter and I feel more secure carrying them this way.

I am about 6'2" (188 cm) tall and weigh in excess of 220 pounds (100 kg) and I opted for the X-long version of the Dual Harness. Since there is plenty of extra length available in the X-long size and since I carry the cameras shorter than is illustrated on the OPTECH website; I might have been able to use the regular size. However, if you are a large person, I would suggest choosing the X-long size. You can always cut the attaching straps shorter but, cannot make them any longer than they are.

The quick releases on the attaching straps of the Dual Harness allow me to disconnect a camera for use on a tripod and to quickly reattach the camera when I take it off the tripod. The attaching straps do not get in the way when the camera is tripod mounted. Additionally, one side of the attching straps is male and the other femals. I can clamp these together to have a short hand hold strap. This could be an additional security facet.

I can use the dual harness with a single camera if I desire. The Dual harness still distributes the weight across my shoulders and I don't feel out of balance with a camera on only one side. When carrying a single camera, I tend to carry it on my right side which is easier for me since I am right handed.

Since I already had an OPTECH Reporter Strap, I can occasionally carry a third camera/lens on that strap. These three cameras do not tangle. The quick release clamps for the Dual Harness are compatible with the quick release clamps of the Reporter Strap which allows me to switch around the cameras in any way I wish to carry them.

I own four DSLR cameras (40D and 30D which are my standard cameras, 10D as a back up or when I use three cameras and D60 modified for full time infra red) but, seldom, if ever, use all of them at one time. Three cameras are normally the maximum I will use. However, I have a set of attaching straps on each body. The Reporter strap came with a pair of attaching straps and so did the Dual Harness.

The Dual harness is a lightweight and relatively inexpensive solution to carrying two or more cameras in the field.

I have added a inexpensive carabiner clamp (not an expensive mountain climbing model) to the adjustment straps on each side of my photo vest. Securing each camera strap with a clamp, I prevent the cameras from swinging from side to side when I run or climb.

When I am in a crowd, I can walk with a hand on each camera for security purposes. I can also place the dual harness beneath my photo vest which provides additional security from theft and a bit of protection from rain or blowing dust.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 20th August 2010 at 04:02 PM.

Real Name
    Rick

Re: Carrying two or more cameras...

Good information, thanks for taking the time to share it, Richard.

Do you use any of these systems by attaching via the tripod socket, like Black Rapid? I really like the harness set-up here, but I also really like the way the camera balances when it hangs upside down from the Black Rapid. It seems to me to be the best way to hang the camera at my side.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Richard

Yes, I researched the Black Rapid and also the Cotton Carrier. Neither one, I believe, makes it as simple to mount a camera on a tripod - especially using a RRS L bracket which I love.

Additionally, not that price is the reason I purchased the OPTECH Dual Harness but, at about $24.00 USD ( http://www.amazon.com/Op-Tech-Dual-H...2347400&sr=8-1 ) it is considerably less expensive than the Black Rapid RS DR-1 while is priced about $130 USD. ( http://www.amazon.com/BlackRapid-DR-...2347515&sr=8-7 ).

Real Name
    John

I currently carry two cameras, one a bridge and the other a DSLR and I place both in a standard camera bag. The real problem occurs when switching lenses on the DSLR. I usually carry three lenses, I have four, and they are used based on the time of day. the 55-200mm has a circular polarizing filter attached and is used during midday to dusk shooting. The 70-300mm lens is used after dusk and after sunrise. And the 50mm f/1.8 is used for low light shooting. I also have the 18-55mm lens and it could be used alongside the 50mm lens.

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Yes, I researched the Black Rapid and also the Cotton Carrier. Neither one, I believe, makes it as simple to mount a camera on a tripod - especially using a RRS L bracket which I love.
    True, it is a bit of a hassle having to unscrew the mount point from the tripod socket. But I tend to be either working tripod or walk-about. If I'm using the tripod, I have a bag or two full of stuff, so I don't worry so much about hanging my camera on my body.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

By co-incidence, I ordered one of these the other day ...

http://www.spiderholster.com/

... I'll let you know how it works out. (BTW, it can be upgraded to hold a camera on each side).

Real Name
    David

Richard - a timely post in that I've been carrying two cameras, but one always in the bag. I just didn't know such harnesses existed. As a point of interest for UK readers, the Op/Tech harness is available from Amazon.uk and Warehouse Express (and no doubt others) but at £35 compared to the US price of about £17. Better order from USA.

Cheers

David

Carrying two or more cameras...
    Sorry, I just couldn't resist this.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...emembered.html

Real Name
    John

Well I guess you would need about thirty cameras. Who wants to change a roll of film in the wet jungle.