Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: First long exposure photo

Real Name
    Niall

First long exposure photo

I took my camera with me at the weekend, whilst walking through Tollymore Forest Park, here in Northern Ireland.

For the first time, since I got my DSLR in March, I really felt like a lot of the more technical aspects of photography were clicking into place - I was playing with the ISO, shutter speed etc to try and get some usable pictures under the tree canopy.

For this photo, I wanted a long exposure but I didn't have a tripod. I had to improvise, using my camera bag as a makeshift tripod. Given the length of exposure, I also found that I had to use a ND filter (which I'd bought but never used before) to get the shot.

For all you experienced photgraphers out there, I'm sure that this is fairly standard stuff - but I'm really chuffed at how I'm finally starting to think about more of the technical side of taking photos

As always, all C&C is appreciated.

First long exposure photo

Real Name
    Steve

Re: First long exposure photo

Looks really good to me

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by niallc99 View Post
    ... but I'm really chuffed at how I'm finally starting to think about more of the technical side of taking photos
    Good on you Niall. And never under-estimate the progress you're making up the learning curve by just starting to think at a conscious level of the technical side. Because once the technical bits start to sink in and you start applying them in a more unconscious way, your artistic interpretation (which we can start to see in the above image) will get more of your attention. I don't think you can get on top of both simultaneously. Mastering and feeling totally comfortable with the technical will then free you up to concentrate on the artistic.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Niall,

Definitely a shot to be proud of!

Good range of tones and sharp.

Well done,

Excellent shot; looks sharp and well exposed with a perfect shutter speed. Well done.