Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Daddy's New Car

Real Name
    Troy

Daddy's New Car

My friend's father got a new sports car (Audi A5 S-Line) and my friend is able to drive it once in a while, so he decided to take advantage of my photography

I used only my kit lenses (18-55 & 55-200) and some with my Targus DP38 flash radio triggered. For moving pictures my technique was sitting in the passenger seat of another friend's car and holding the camera as far out the window as possible - I used a strap, no worries! All shots hand-held. Exposure control in both ACR and Photoshop.

Daddy's New Car

2. f13 - 1/20s - ISO100 - 18mm - cropped
    Daddy's New Car

3. f13 - 1/20s - ISO100 - 55mm
    Daddy's New Car

4. f13 - 1/20s - ISO100 - 18mm
    Daddy's New Car

5. f5.6 - 1/160s - ISO100 - 18mm
    Daddy's New Car

6. f5.6 - 1/200s - ISO100 - 18mm
    Daddy's New Car

7. f4.0 - 1/100s - ISO200 - 55mm
    Daddy's New Car

8. f5.6 - 1/200s - ISO400 - 200mm
    Daddy's New Car

9. f5.3 - 1/20s - ISO200 - 38mm
    flash used - quarter output, bare, camera left
    Daddy's New Car

10. f5.0 - 1/15s - ISO400 - 18mm
    flash used - quarter output, bare, camera right
    Daddy's New Car

It was a fun day! When we got home I helped another friend build his first custom computer for college. (i7, 8gb ddr3, gtx 460 SLI, 32gb SSD.....I wish I had this computer)
    Last edited by pwnage101; 15th August 2010 at 10:12 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Daddy's New Car

Cor I like the second one.

Daddy's New Car

But without the odd bits.

Real Name
    Alan

Looks so good. It would be looks good to put the picture on the car magazine! I like 2nd and 4th images the best so far.

Real Name
    Rick

I like 2 & 5 the best, Troy. I'd probably PP some of the odd flares or spots out, as Steve says. 2 is a great new take on an action shot, and 5 takes advantage of the sun, while keeping it blocked: very nice.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Troy

Actually, my 18-55 lens was very dirty with lots of dust and smudge marks. I don't have any lens cleaning tissue, but I normally use my mom's eyeglass tissue (unfortunately she and her tissue were out of the house!). Neither of my friends have microfiber cloth. Should I buy some lens cleaning tissue or is there a comparable alternative found in the household?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Troy,

My favs are 4, 6 and 8, I would prefer 6 without the hatches in the tarmac though, but I'm not suggesting cloning them out in PP though, as with sun under like that, it'll be almost impossible to get it looking natural.

Quote Originally Posted by pwnage101 View Post
    Actually, my 18-55 lens was very dirty with lots of dust and smudge marks. I don't have any lens cleaning tissue, but I normally use my mom's eyeglass tissue (unfortunately she and her tissue were out of the house!). Neither of my friends have microfiber cloth. Should I buy some lens cleaning tissue or is there a comparable alternative found in the household?
    Yes! Easy for me to say, you're only a student and have to pay for it!
    I have a medium to large puffer for dust (small ones are useless) and a lens pen thing for drip marks.
    If it got really drip marked, I guess I might resort to a microfibre cloth and a bit of 'huff', but the problem with those (just cleaning glasses), is that they tend to soak up skin oils from the surface and spread it all over again next time you use it
    Better still - an alcohol dampened (sealed in sachet) lens cleaning tissue, disposed of after use (because they dry out within a minute).

I don't find mine get too dirty, but then I'm not as 'out there' and creative as you

I also assume you're cleaning a UV filter, not the actual front element.

Good series of car shots though,

Real Name
    Troy

Unfortunately it's the front element. I did some research and i think I'll just buy a lens pen and see if it works.

Although, I don't think #2 was completely ruined by the dirt - it was mostly the motion blur.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Can you stretch the finances to a filter too?

I know it's only a kit lens, but ... I can't help feeling its a lesson waiting to be learned (the hard way) at the moment.

A lens pen is good for discreet spots, but if it is smeary rather than drippy, it won't cope.
    I suppose you can very carefully start with the 'huff and spectacle cleaning cloth' first and clear up any stubborn bits with the lens pen.