Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: That Sinking Feeling

That Sinking Feeling

From this year's Salcombe Regatta Raft Race.

The Ferry Inn team (bottom right) started off full of enthusiasm with their high speed raft.

That Sinking Feeling

Their only rivals were the Lifeboat Team. But due to the lack of a Plimsoll Line their vessel was a touch 'stern heavy'.

That Sinking Feeling

And disaster was now inevitable

That Sinking Feeling

Would you like to see that in close up?

That Sinking Feeling

Re: That Sinking Feeling

The harsh evening light was a bit of a problem here, and I obviously needed a fairly high shutter speed (1/500) so to keep the ISO down to 200 (I thought noise in the shadows would be a problem) I had to work with a larger aperture than I would have wished.

The last photo is a substantial crop and I was focused on the foreground image so it is a touch on the soft side.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Geoff,

Looks like a fun day. With regards to ISO, I just dial in whatever I need -- it's not really an issue with modern cameras (well lesso of an issue than insufficient DoF or motion blur / camera shake anyway).

The house prices in Salcombe are so excessive, that I wouldn't be surprised to hear that people live on boats

No Rob, mooring charges are even more expensive than Council Tax! That is why I had to sell my boat when I retired from commercial fishing.

There are a few holiday houseboats left but nothing like the numbers in the 'good old days' of the 1950s and 1960s, when harbour dues were cheap and you could rent out any old hulk during the holiday season.

Like so many places, it has become something of a split town now with the all year round local residents living on the cheaper town edges. But once a year we put on a Regatta which is basically a local event, although visitors and the more likeable holiday homers are allowed to take part.

I will post some photos of other events as I process them, but I have quite a backlog to sort through. Besides my demanding official capacity of Regatta Chief Gofor, I have to take photos of the events for next year's programme.